my gggrandfather David Hird.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

alisonyule

my gggrandfather David Hird.....

Post by alisonyule » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:52 pm

I know he was born in 1817 in Logie Buchan, and that his wife Barbara (nee Sim) died in 1882, at Loch Lundie Moss, in Slains. I am descended from his daughter Christian Yule (nee Hird). I have just found out, via some notes made by my great-aunt in 1946, that he remarried - to Isabella Shewan - in 1886 - and thereafter had 5 children, the last, Rosie Ann Hird, being born at Moss Croft, Slains, in 1900. (By which date, by my reckoning, he must have been 83 years old!). The problem is, I can't find a death cert. for him on the official Scotland's people site - either under Hird or Herd. My ggrandmother Christian (Christina) Yule died in Edinburgh in 1912, and the cert. says that her father was deceased. Can anyone suggest where I might look to find a death cert for David Herd - between 1900 and 1912?

Many thanks
Alison

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi Alison

Welcome to TS :D .....you'll find David hiding under a mis-indexing...

1903 THIRD DAVID M 85 SLAINS /ABERDEEN 239/00 0006

Best wishes
Jean

PaulaD

Post by PaulaD » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 pm

Jean - you are an angel O:) O:) O:)
Thank you so much I've been searching for him for ages!!

Hello Alison - welcome to TS and a new rellie on your first post :lol:
David Hird/Herd was my GG grandfather. Christians big sister Margaret born 1840 was my G grandmother. David had 11 children with Barbara Sim then another 5 with poor Isabella. I think she was 42 years younger when they married. Yuck :shock:

Paula
Searching for Barclay Aberdeenshire, Stewart Edinburgh, Brown Edinburgh & Uphall, Finlayson E Lothian, Fairley & Renton E & W Lothian for starters!

alisonyule

Post by alisonyule » Sat May 26, 2007 10:31 am

JustJean wrote:Hi Alison

Welcome to TS :D .....you'll find David hiding under a mis-indexing...

1903 THIRD DAVID M 85 SLAINS /ABERDEEN 239/00 0006

Best wishes
Jean
Hi Jean,
Thank you so much. Each time I logged on to TalkingScot I got "no new messages" - so haven't visited the site for months. Must have been doing something wrong. I'm now in France, but my sister in Auchtermuchty rang here this morning - all excited. She had been to her genealogy class yesterday, and was recommended to join this forum. Idly searching for "Yule", she found a) that I had already joined - and b) that my mystery had been solved by you - and that I had found a new relative! What a coincidence.

Again many thanks - and all good wishes
Alison Stein

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat May 26, 2007 11:03 am

Hi Alison
...and a belated Welcome to TS :D
Its a very small world!
...my sister in Auchtermuchty rang here this morning - all excited. She had been to her genealogy class yesterday, and was recommended to join this forum
I wonder who that recommendation came from?? :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

p.s. the new messages at the top of the page refers to Private Messages.
If, in your Profile (also a link up the top of the page) you scroll down to the section Always notify me of replies: then ticking Yes here means that you will be sent an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. It can be a useful way of keeping track of when people add something to a thread you have either started yourself, or posted in.
See http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6900 for more on Profiles
and
http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6760 for info on PMs (Private Messages)

alisonyule

Post by alisonyule » Sat May 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi Lesley,

Yes - we have you to thank for the recommendation. (and also advice on altering profile).

Alison ':D'
Alison Stein

RachelH

Re: my gggrandfather David Hird.....

Post by RachelH » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:59 am

David Hurd was my great great grandfather too! My great grandmother was Rosie Hird.

Please email me if you would like any more information - I have all the documents relating to him.

holdenz@gmail.com

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: my gggrandfather David Hird.....

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:04 am

Hello RachelH and [TS_welcome]

I hope some of the previous posters on this thread will see your reply! Alison hasn't been on the forum for nearly 10 years :( but Paula has logged in more recently. With luck, they both will have followed the advice to tick the box to get notified of new posts and you will hear from them soon.

Best wishes,
Sarah