Old Colliery Row, Netherton, Bedlington

Robert Wood 46 Coalminer Scotland
Catherine 40 ''
Catherine 15 ''
Eleanor 10 ''
Matilda 9
Robina 6 ''
Robert 10mths Bedlington

Only fly in the ointment is place of birth for Robert and Catherine, but depends who gave the info....

As there was no Rosanne(sp) did another search and found

9 Castle Stairs, Newcastle on Tyne

Alexander Douglas 72 H Clothes dealer Scotland
Rossan Douglas 53 W Ireland
Rossan Wood 13 NIECE Scotland

Did a search on Free B.M.D. and an Alexander Douglas m. Rose Ann Nicholson Dec. 1867 in Newcastle

Alcluith

TalkingScot

Post by Alcluith » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:29 am

I am sitting in front of my computer, lost for words, not because I am overwhelmed with the information given, which I am, but because this vast wealth of knowledge and skill was nearly lost to all those people researching their Scottish Ancestry.

What started as an exercise has thrown up some terrific information on a area of my research that I had shelved for nearly two years because of the conflicting information I was gathering, then in the space of a couple of days a clear path has been established.

Big thanks to the Administration Group for TalkingScot and to those posters who have yet again enlightened me.
I am proud to say that I am and always will be a Friend of TalkingScot.
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:42 am

Can i butt in here? Jack came up with information from the 1841 and 1851 census returns. Can one get this information on-line?
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

AndrewP
Site Admin

1841 and 1851 census

Post by AndrewP » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:07 am

Malcolm wrote:Can i butt in here? Jack came up with information from the 1841 and 1851 census returns. Can one get this information on-line?
Not yet. It is hoped that the 1841 to 1881 census information will come on line at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk during 2005 (or at worst case 2006). In the meantime it is available on microfilm at New Register House, various libraries and (can be ordered for loan at) LDS Family History Centres. The running order at SP was last given as 1871, 1861, 1851, 1841, 1881. So 1841 and 1851 are likely to be later rather than sooner. I'm sure there will be publicity as each of these comes on line. These are expected to be in the same format as the existing 1891 and 1901 censuses.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:43 am

Thank's Andy,
but what does LDS mean?
Happy new year to you and all

Laura

Latter Day Saints

Post by Laura » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:28 am

Dear Malcolm,

Just in case you need the answer right now:
LDS = Latter Day Saints
as in the Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints.

FHC= Family History Centre
These centres are located at LDS Churches.

familysearch.org= a wonderful website (free) provided by the LDS Church.

A search of the site should tell you where your nearest Family History Centre is located.

I gave up waiting for the earlier censuses to come online and paid a nominal fee to have the census films for Auchtermuchty, Fife held indefinitely. I am able to view the censuses at my leisure and any other censuses held on the premises. Not all FHCs will do this, but we are fortunate that the director in my city allows this service. The centres are staffed with volunteers (not necessarily church members) and the hours are different for each community.

All the best in the New Year,
Laura

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:17 am

And you don't have to be a member of the LDS to use an FHC; nor will they try to convert you when you are there !

Davie

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:28 am

Hello Laura
TISWAS (today is Saturday, wear a smile)

For my first new years resolution i have decided to make a list of all the acronyms that folk use with such gay abandon in these pages.
There is one of those churches not far from home. In fact, a couple of their American missionaries used to visit me at home when i was in a state of SITCOM (single income,three kids, oppressive mortgage). They gave up on me after realising i was beyond redemption. The blonde one was so nice and very bewitching. She is probably one of several wives to a big fat bloke with a Volvo now. Poor thing.
Davie's comments are re assuring. However, I've got AIR, ( auto irreverence & reprobacy) as my armour which, with my FADDs ( fashion attention deficit dissorder syndrome) combine to me an unlikely convert to any cause whatsoever.
Thank's for all the information once again and have a great new year
Malcolm