Do I have a "postal martyr" in my tree?

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

ladybird

Do I have a "postal martyr" in my tree?

Post by ladybird » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:44 am

Hi folks
I've just come across this snippet after a google search for James McGeorge

Post-Coach Monument on A701 at Grid Ref. NT052129. Known locally as the "Postie Stone," it was erected in 1931 to commemorate James McGeorge and John Goodfellow, respectively guard and driver of the mail coach en-route to Edinburgh from Dumfries on 20th February 1831. Snow forced them to abandon their vehicle and carry the mail bags themselves: they succumbed to exposure and died near the site of the monument. Taken during June 1993. Section E, Route 3.

There is also a slightly longer version here...
http://www.scottish-memories.co.uk/maga ... =68&page=4

I have a James Jeffrey marrying this man's daughter Isabella in 1840, Edinburgh and I'm hoping it's my James Jeffrey. I have their marriage from the OPR's.
What I would like to know please is James McGeorge's age at death which would give me an approx date of birth for his daughter, hopefully around 1820. I can't find her on scotlandspeople and have now run out of credits. :oops:

Sylvia
Searching in Scotland for
Townsend/Townsley, Jeffrey, Stewart, Conway, Berry, Stevens, Craig, Wallace

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Sylvia
I suspect there could be a newspaper report somewhere which might give ages... but it might not! e.g. The Scotsman. I may be in a position to have a quick look later today so will come back to you if I find anything.

Otherwise a newspaper local to the area where the incident happened might be your best bet. Even if all you find is a wife's name for James McGeorge, that should help find a marriage and from there, it may be possible to estimate an age.

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:11 pm

Hello Ladybird

There are other photos of the Postie Stone and of George’s gravestone at
http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlog ... tos/35.jpg
and
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/feature ... 17067.html

They are very low resolution but the gravestone one is almost readable and the inscription looks to be a bit like. (Your eyes are probably better than mine)

“Sacred to the Memory of James McGeorge, Guard of the Dunfries and Edinburgh Royal Mail who unfortunately perished at the age of 47 near ???????? after the most strenuous exertion in the performance of his duty during that memorable Snow Storm ?? February 1831 ?? George McGeorge his son and successor a Mail Guard who died in Dumfries ?? June 1869 in the ?? year of his age.”

The event doesn't seem to have made it into the London Times.

The 1840 marriage is on the IGI at the LDS site
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true
and there is also a birth submission from a church member for a John Jeffrey born on 28 Feb 1843 at Stranear Wigtown. You will find references there to a James McGeorge as well.

If you search for James Jeffrey in 1841 - Wigtownshire on the FreeCen site
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
you will find this group - looks promising.

Piece: SCT1841/899 Place: Stranraer -Wigtownshire Enumeration District: 1 Civil Parish: Stranraer Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -Folio: 1 Page: 6
Address: Sun Street
JEFFREY John M 28 Plasterer Wigtownshire
JEFFREY Jane F 20 Wigtownshire
JEFFREY Alexander M 3 Wigtownshire
JEFFREY William M 1 Wigtownshire
JEFFREY James M 25 Plasterer Wigtownshire
JEFFREY William M 20 Plasterer Wigtownshire
MCGEORGE Isabella F 20 Outside Census County (1841)
FLEMING Mary Ann F 15 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:31 pm

Currie wrote:They are very low resolution but the gravestone one is almost readable and the inscription looks to be a bit like. (Your eyes are probably better than mine)

“Sacred to the Memory of James McGeorge, Guard of the Dunfries and Edinburgh Royal Mail who unfortunately perished at the age of 47 near ???????? after the most strenuous exertion in the performance of his duty during that memorable Snow Storm ?? February 1831 ?? George McGeorge his son and successor a Mail Guard who died in Dumfries ?? June 1869 in the ?? year of his age.”
The place name is almost certainly Tweedshaws, a farm close to the source of the River Tweed. It can be seen on a map at:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/
Click on the large pink "get a map" circle.
Search for NT0525014650 to find Tweedshaws.

All the best,

AndrewP

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Sylvia
I had a search, but I'm not seeing anything obvious in the Scotsman, sorry.
Best wishes
Lesley

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:37 am

Oh dear :oops: what a shame.
Thank you so much for all your help folks.
Sadly this is not my James, mine was born in Barony 1819
It would have been so nice to finally have someone "famous" (James McGeorge sounds like a very interesting character) but not to be, never mind, I'll keep on looking for him :(
I have John, James and William brothers. John I know stayed in Glasgow, but I've yet to find anything on James and William.

And thank you for reminding me about freecen.
This could possibly be James as I know he was not living with his parents, John and Isabella, but how to know for sure???

GRANT Sarah F 50 Independent Lanarkshire
GRANT Janet F 20 Lanarkshire
GRANT George M 15 Clerk Lanarkshire
JEFFREY James M 20 Clerk Lanarkshire
Piece: SCT1841/644 Place: Gorbals -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 26
Civil Parish: Gorbals Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 26 Page: 27
Address: 10 Coburg

Thank you once again, Sylvia :)
Searching in Scotland for
Townsend/Townsley, Jeffrey, Stewart, Conway, Berry, Stevens, Craig, Wallace

Hannah29

Post by Hannah29 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:32 am

Hi

It might be worth while contacting the Local Studies department in the Ewart Library, Dumfries and asking them to look up the local newspaper for a report. I think the gravestone is in Moffat graveyard, which is in Dumfries and Galloway.

The email is libs&i@dumgal.gov.uk

Hannah