McLean Research

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

MattMcLean

McLean Research

Post by MattMcLean » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:47 am

Hi,

I'm tracing my family as far back as possible and I am afraid I've hit a bit of a wall. My great-great-great grandfather Donald McLean, according to an older U.S. Census and the death certificate of his son John (my great-great), was born in Scotland. Donald was married to Flora McKinnon. At some point this family moved to Canada (John was born there in 1862); and in the 1880's to Michigan, in the United States. I'm looking for more information about Donald and Flora.

Donald MCLEAN (b. ?1832, d. ?18 Jul 1883) m. Flora MCKINNON
Children:
Hugh
Charles
Donald (aka - Dan)
Archie
John (b. 10 Sep 1862, d. 7 Jul 1951)
Neil
Margaret
Sarah

Some recent research using dubious sources has led me to believe Donald may be buried in Arenac County, Michigan, at the Clayton Township Cemetery. I do not know if this was also the location of his death, but I may see if there is a death certificate for him on file in Arenac County. That's my best lead right now.

Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated. I will also be happy to answer specifics regarding the family tree of Donald's son John.

Thanks in advance,

Matt McLean

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:30 am

You probably know all about this site but just in case try

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi? ... 1&id=I3573

Alan

MattMcLean

Post by MattMcLean » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:21 pm

Thank you for the lead. I am going to take a trip out to Donald's and his son John's graves in the middle of this month, and also I'm hoping to pull a death certificate for Donald out of Arenac County.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

Matt

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:24 am

Hi Matt, and Welcome to TalkingScot!

Have you had a look at our collection of links to U.S. and Canadian information at http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8420

There are many searchable databases which are free listed there, including ones on U.S. border crossings, immigration, citizenship etc.

Coming to Canada they would not have been required to acquire citizenship because Canada was part of the British Commonwealth. You do not say which country, province or state you are in and that information may help in directing you to something close to home.

You may also want to check out the GenWeb project for Michigan http://www.rootsweb.com/~migenweb/

Hope this helps, and if you need further assistance, we're only a keyboard away!

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

MattMcLean

Post by MattMcLean » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

We confirmed that we have the correct John and we found a plot at Memory Gardens Cemetery in Tawas City, MI, for John and his wife Mae, as well as John's children Murlin and Charles and their wives. We found a lot of records in the County Clerk's office about John's family.

This, by proxy, confirms for sure that John's parents were Donald McLean and Flora McKinnon, according to the official death certificate.

Now the tricky part is, finding Donald. Pretty sure we had the wrong Donald when we went to look for his grave and other records. I believe my search is going to lead me to Canadian records; all of Donald's kids were born in Canada. Let me know if you have any more tips!

Thanks!

Matt McLean