Family on 1841 Census but cannot find on SP

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

judipete

Goodman family in Calton

Post by judipete » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Thank you so much Annette and Sarah for your help with my Goodman puzzle.
I have followed up Eliza Peebles, granddaughter of James and Elizabeth Goodman at 47 New Street Calton.
In 1864 Eliza Peebles married (RC service) aged 22 years still of 47 New Street Calton to Patrick Kerrigan aged 24 years same address. Eliza Peebles' father given as William Peebles Tailor and it looks like Elizabeth Peebles (MS Goodman). Now this means that there are now two Elizabeth Goodmans - as my Elizabeth Goodman is in South Australia from 1837.
However you have found that it was Helen Goodman who married William Peebles. So the "Elizabeth" Goodman on the marriage certificate must be a mistake. Helen must have died sometime between 1841 and 1845, as it is not clear if Eliza Peebles is born abt 1842 or abt 1845.

Yes I found Thomas Goodman on 1851 Census in Edinburgh Iron Church, Midlothian but then he disappears.
It could be that the two brothers James and Thomas Goodman followed their sister in emigrating.
Thanks again. I appreciate all the help.
Judith
Researching Peterkin, McDonald, Paterson, Goodman

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Goodman family in Calton

Post by AndrewP » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:58 pm

judipete wrote:Yes I found Thomas Goodman on 1851 Census in Edinburgh Iron Church, Midlothian but then he disappears.
Looks like an Ancestry transcription - should read Edinburgh Tron Church. Tron Church parish was a small area, centred around South Bridge.

All the best,

AndrewP

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:13 pm

The fact that James' and Thomas' births cannot be found on SP does not mean they were RC, it just means that their birth records were not noted by the Church of Scotland. There were other Protestant denominations pre-1855, dissenting Presbyterian congregations, Methodists, Episcopalians etc, the records of which are not held by Scotland's People or the GROS. Sometimes these records are found on SP, if the local Church of Scotland minister has made a note of them, but more often than not this is not the case. They may also have not been registered at all, or may have simply been baptised many years after their birth.

If Elizabeth and James had their children baptised in an Anglican church in Australia, could it be that they were Anglican by religion? If so, it may be worth trying to find the Glasgow births for James and Thomas in the city's Episcopalian church records. The Anglican Church was the established church in Ireland at that time, as opposed to the Presbyterian church in Scotland. As has also been mentioned, the census may have simply been wrong as well, and they may have all come from Ireland!

Also, whilst Newry is in County Down today, I have seen several 19th C records where it is noted as being in County Armagh, so there may have been some boundary changes to take into account here. Records for Armagh are available online (at an extortionate price) at http://armagh.brsgenealogy.com/index.php?&set=yes and for Down at http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php

I have access to the 19th century Belfast Newsletter, and had a quick look but only found notice of one Goodman family from Newry:

Tues APR 8 1828
County of Down Assizes - Pat. Goodman up for stealing £10 and a pocket-book from his uncle Thomas Goodman. Acquitted when his uncle refused to prosecute him.

A source worth thinking about is the Poor Law records for Glasgow, which are very good for information on Irish families in Scotland. If they sought poor relief at any stage, you should be able to find their records in the Mitchell Library, and these often name extended family back in Ireland, as the authorities were always trying to work out who was going to pay them back! The records are not online, there is a database in the archive within the library which has an index.

Chris
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.

judipete

Goodman family in Calton

Post by judipete » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks Andrew for the correction regarding Tron Bridge and Chris for all the helpful information about searching records for the Goodmans. I will follow up the leads you have given. I certainly have much more understanding of the SP records and of the Goodman family, since joining this form, so thanks to all.
Judith
Researching Peterkin, McDonald, Paterson, Goodman

shazza171

Re: Family on 1841 Census but cannot find on SP

Post by shazza171 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:32 am

I am a direct descendant of Elizabeth Goodman 1851. Can contact me on slf262ATxta.co.nz

Edited AT=@

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Greetings from a fellow NZ'r - for your own safety it is advisable that you take the @ out of the info you have provided, less SPAM will find it's way to your account. Genuine replies will know what to do.

Alan.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks Alan :) I missed that one. Must have been having an afternoon snooze

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny