Ancestry co uk

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

scottishMisty

Post by scottishMisty » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi All
I was out at PC world and seen some software family tree maker and it was giving three months free to Ancestry so I bought it I wanted soft ware anyhow
and rush home to start searching and my Internet was down
just came back on this morning
:shock:
Cheers Jan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,Whyte
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,Chisholm,McLean
Coatbrigde:Merry,Dunn,Allan,Baird
Ayrshire:McIlwairth,McCulloch
Kirkcudbright:Blacklock Halliday http://www.jcallan.co.uk/

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Bargain!

I bought Family Tree Maker off the Ancestry site AFTER I'd first subscribed to Ancestry, so thought I'd missed out on the free 3 months.

I contacted them about it and got an extra 3 months tagged on.
Well! You don't ask, you don't get :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 pm

HI all

My nearest decent sized library has free access to Ancestry - I don't know if this is just because they have other family history related materials or whether if is a regional thing, but if anyone is looking for access to Ancestry, I'd suggest asking at your local library first.
(one happy bunny here, using Ancestry free at the library I've just found some "long losts" in the USA....!!) :D

Best wishes
Lesley

scottishMisty

Post by scottishMisty » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi All
My Local library has Ancestry Free and it's not very large library .
the whole of Essex do have Ancestry in there libraries
I have use it and its pretty cool :D
Cheers Jan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,Whyte
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,Chisholm,McLean
Coatbrigde:Merry,Dunn,Allan,Baird
Ayrshire:McIlwairth,McCulloch
Kirkcudbright:Blacklock Halliday http://www.jcallan.co.uk/

morgano

Post by morgano » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 am

I use Ancestry quite a bit and shall continue to do so, but I have recently found a new (to me) hazard with Ancestry records, that I ought to share.

It involved the transcription of "ditto". In a Welsh census record, an address inhabited by family Rees was followed by one inhabited by family Evans, so that there was one "ditto" under the surname Rees and there were five dittos under Evans. The transcriber clearly misunderstood the concept of the "ditto", so translated all six of them as "Rees". If I hadn't already known enough about the family to recognise that it was the one for which I was looking, despite the error, that might have thrown me. In the event, I had searched on the one Evans family member (out of six) who was correctly indexed as such. If I had been searching on his wife, or their daughter (perfectly plausible, since they are my ancestors, too), I should not have found them in Ancestry, because they were both listed as Rees. (I have reported all the errors to Ancestry for correction.)

This could easily happen for Scottish census transcriptions in Ancestry, too, and might be harder to detect, since the actual census forms for Scotland are not visible via Ancestry, of course. Precisely the same kind of mistake is not likely to be made by SP, but SP does also make the odd error and I have needed Ancestry in the past, when a census record has been invisible in SP. May be just one to bear in mind.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:39 pm

scottishMisty wrote:Hi All
My Local library has Ancestry Free and it's not very large library .
the whole of Essex do have Ancestry in there libraries
I have use it and its pretty cool :D
Cheers Jan
Its not listed on the web site at my local library which is also in Essex, only the International Genealogical Index - Family History, but i will check with them. It is at the larger library but that involves a bus ride, so lazy !.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi Tracey
My local library also do not have it listed as a option on their web site...but they do have access to Ancestry, so its always worth a try.
:wink:
Best wishes
Lesley