dearh cert /sp

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

duker

dearh cert /sp

Post by duker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:24 pm

hi ,does anyone know why i am unable to view a death cert even although it is in the date range of 1855/1958,mine is 1879,i can prder but the seach doesn,t even give the area of death,so not sure it the one i am looking for,i e mailed them ,no reply so far,just wondered if any one else has had this problem,duker

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi duker,
What does the search result say? Does it say "No image"? I had one like that (from 1858) and was able to see and print it out in Edinburgh. No indication why it was not available online. I'll be interested to hear what they tell you is the problem.

All the best,
Sarah

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Hello Duker and Sarah

I had this happen to me during my searches in Eckford and I was told by GROS that the problem was that "there are two volumes and the link on one has not worked properly".

I was able to get the image from them with no bother and, since the staff member at GROS assured me her job was to help customers who had problems like this and she just loved doing it, I give the email address below:

Karen.BrettATgro-scotlandDOTgsiDOTgovDOTuk

If I should not be giving out this info perhaps a kind moderator would do the necessary adjustments.

I had to get in touch with this young lady several times and she was just so helpful. It was Andrew who pointed me in the right direction and I now offer him a very belated "thank you". :oops:

I should add that a direct request to her for help with an atrocious image elicited the same speedy, helpful response.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:07 am

Lorna Allison wrote:... the problem was that "there are two volumes and the link on one has not worked properly".
That is still the case to the best of my knowledge. The supplementary books were books started after the original book for that year in that registration district had been filled up. Unfortunately, these books started from certificate number one again, thus duplicating the series of certificate numbers. The certificate reference numbers for the supplementary books have an X in them. It is these ones that the ScotlandsPeople index fails to pick up.

As you say, these can be found manually, and sent on to you.

All the best,

AndrewP