John Crawford born c1780

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Bonney

John Crawford born c1780

Post by Bonney » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:52 pm

I am looking for the birth dates and parents of John Crawford born about 1780 married to Margaret McConnochy. Their son Joseph was born in 1806 in Port Glasgow. I am also looking for information on Josephs burial place. He died in 1848 in the Port Glasgow area.
Last edited by AndrewP on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post separated into its own topic

Currie

Re: John Crawford born c1780

Post by Currie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 am

Hello Bonney, and welcome to TalkingScot.

It’s best to keep in mind, when searching for Old Parochial Records, that many parishes were not particularly good at record keeping. You can get information about this from here. http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/re ... -oprs.html

There doesn't appear to be any OPR death records for Port Glasgow. Where did you get the information about the 1848 death and what was his occupation?

All the best,
Alan

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:35 am

Bonney wrote:I am looking for the birth dates and parents of John Crawford born about 1780 married to Margaret McConnochy. Their son Joseph was born in 1806 in Port Glasgow. I am also looking for information on Josephs burial place. He died in 1848 in the Port Glasgow area.
Hello and welcome to TS Bonney,

Are you sure Joseph was born at Port Glasgow? The only one I'm seeing in 1841 at Port Glasgow was born Ireland.

From FREECEN -

Piece: SCT1841/574 Place: Port Glasgow -Renfrewshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Port Glasgow Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 12 Page: 9
Address: King Street

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
CRAWFORD Joseph M 35 Labourer Ireland
CRAWFORD Mary F 35 Ireland
CRAWFORD Robert M 15 Ireland
CRAWFORD James M 10 Renfrewshire
CRAWFORD Catherine F 7 Renfrewshire
SCOTT Sarah F 45 Ireland
SCOTT Arch M 40 Labourer Ireland
SCOTT Arch M 10 Renfrewshire
SCOTT Jane F 7 Renfrewshire
COGAN Matthew M 30 Labourer Ireland
COGAN Agnes F 3 Renfrewshire

Regards,
Annette

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Bonney:

The IGI gives the following birth information, but could not locate marriage record of John & Margaret.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

John Crawford
Christening: 18 JUN 1780 Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
Parents:
Father: THOMAS CRAWFORD Family
Mother: JEAN GRAHAM

Joseph Crawford
Christening: 09 NOV 1806 Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JOHN CRAWFORD
Mother: MARGARET MCCONNOCHY

Both records are extracts.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Bonney

Post by Bonney » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:38 am

Currie wrote:Hello Bonney, and welcome to TalkingScot.

It’s best to keep in mind, when searching for Old Parochial Records, that many parishes were not particularly good at record keeping. You can get information about this from here. http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/re ... -oprs.html

There doesn't appear to be any OPR death records for Port Glasgow. Where did you get the information about the 1848 death and what was his occupation?

All the best,
Alan
Hi Alan, I got the information about Josephs 1848 death date online and so it might not be correct. Joseph was a weaver. In the 1841 census Joseph and family lived on Stock Street in Paisley. Is that any help in finding a death record? Thank you for your help. Bonney

Bonney

Post by Bonney » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:47 am

paddyscar wrote:Hi Bonney:

The IGI gives the following birth information, but could not locate marriage record of John & Margaret.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

John Crawford
Christening: 18 JUN 1780 Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
Parents:
Father: THOMAS CRAWFORD Family
Mother: JEAN GRAHAM

Joseph Crawford
Christening: 09 NOV 1806 Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JOHN CRAWFORD
Mother: MARGARET MCCONNOCHY

Both records are extracts.

Frances
Hi Frances, Thank you for the help. I have tried for years to find John and Margaret's marriage date. Maybe I am looking in the wrong part of Scotland. The Joseph extracted you sent is my Joseph. In 1841 census Joseph and family lived in Paisley.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:22 am

Greetings Bonney, from New Zealand.

I'm in possession, of a families notes, that go back to the union of one Agnes CRAWFORD b 1740? and Archibald CAMPBELL, East Kilbride, who had nine children. Agnes's parents are given as John CRAWFORD of East Kilbride, Lanarkshire and one Agnes REID. There is an off chance that the John CRAWFORD, that you are looking for, was Agnes's brother.

I will contact John CAMPBELL, and see if he has more information, re seven generations back.

Alan SHARP.

PS. John CAMPBELL has got back to me saying he only has William, Janet, Agnes & Robert, but no John, as children of the couple.
Last edited by Alan SHARP on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:00 am

Hello Bonney,

Regarding not finding a death, you’re probably in the same boat as many others. On the OPR Deaths search page at SP there’s an “important – please read before searching“ sign that will take you to a page explaining the situation with deaths.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/conte ... r=554&1355

Details of surviving OPR records for each county can be found here. http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/re ... -oprs.html

If you look at the 20 or so parishes in Renfrewshire you’ll see that almost half of them, including Paisley, have no death records at all. Almost another half of them have what I would describe as scraps. Only about three appear to have reasonable records of deaths. I would be surprised if any more than about one in every ten deaths that occurred in Renfrewshire in the fifty years before 1855 was ever recorded in the OPRs.

All the best,
Alan

George85

Post by George85 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 am

hi guys I am looking for a past relative that may link to if not be one of you crawford on here I have moved to the uk from Australia to track down my crawford family the persons im looking for are as followed Henry crawford of partick Lanarkshire birth 1890ish wife Sarah Hamill had a son George ross in mt Malloy Australia in 1928...also chasing henry's father believed to be William crawford 1870ish Glasgow (wife Florence A. day) his father being John George 1843 Kilmarnock Ayrshire Scotland wife Janet grey John crawford 1813 Scotland or Ireland wife Sarah Cowan,,,,,, please help