Any MacNiven Family Information out there ?

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

Re: Any MacNiven Family Information out there ?

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 am

Hi Deborah,

Thanks and I thoroughly enjoy a good hunt! As to finding missionaries, I would think that the passenger lists and immigration records would have some information. I'm not well versed on the missionary societies myself, but I'm sure that someone will come along to help.

You can't ask too many questions here. We love questions!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:06 am

Looking at the marriage certs should give an idea of what Church he could have gone to the Mission Field with.

There is a database of Missionary Collections http://www.mundus.ac.uk , but there is no sign of a MacNiven on a quick search there. Saying that I've not found any missionary I'm aquainted with on there, aside from Hudon Taylor and the like.
Wilma

DeborahM

Post by DeborahM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 am

Thank you for the missionary database. I think he floated from teacher to missionary by the looks of the information at hand....though his son was noted to be a missionary also.....maybe missionary back then depended on your view of what a missionary was and how you were given the right to be one...maybe just " preaching the word" to the less fortunate enabled him to call himself a missionary.
Not a bad job just a difficult one to track down .
I will soldier on with the search of the 'Infamous MacNivens'
Many thanks for your help
Deborah

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Deborah

Before you go chasing missionaries over the world remember that some practised their craft/proselytized here in Scotland. :)
Religious history in Scotland is a fascinating topic in itself. A one-time Roman Catholic nation became, nominally at least, steadfastly Protestant. But not everywhere. Some areas/islands remained Roman Catholic. Some major landowners remained Catholic as did some of their retainers for many years.
Then we had the fractious divisions within the Established church with Burghers, Anti-burghers, Cameronians splitting off. Then the Seccession in the 1780's took away a great chunk of Established church congregations forming Relief churches and Free churches all over the place - except where the Episcopal church still held sway.
I could go on (and on...and on... :( )
A minister going to the Isle of Barra might accurately describe himself as a 'missionary' trying to convert the heathen (At times Barra didn't have a Roman Catholic priest in post) Or preaching to the poor in industrialised Glasgow was also seen as missionary work. So try to find out where he did his mission work. HOME or ABROAD.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

DeborahM

Post by DeborahM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Many thanks Russell,
Will investigate the comings and goings out of Scotland . With the help of everyone I am positively, kinda , almost sure I have found a couple more MacNivens to add to my line of ancestors. Wow ! It is certainly detective work and sometimes can go either way as to who you choose to be on the ancestry chart. Sooooo many variations and maybes !! Off to the ship logs and ports now for more chasing.
Regards Deborah

manofmull

Post by manofmull » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm

James & Mary McNiven married 23 Feb 1841 Killarrow, Islay
Their son Duncan married Dorcas Fraser 26 Dec 1872 Gribun, Kilfinichen parish Mull (co-incidentally where my mother was born in 1924)

Dorcas was the d/o Murdoch Fraser/Margaret McLean

The respective ages given at marriage were Duncan 23 and Dorcas 21

I only know of a son James born 7 Oct 1873 Tiree

Michael
www.mullfamilies.co.uk

manofmull

Post by manofmull » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm

p.s.

I've found in most cases (but not all), when two people of the same surname were married, that they were related : the most common relationship being first cousin

Michael
www.mullfamilies.co.uk

DeborahM

Post by DeborahM » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Many Thanks Michael.
I appreciate your help. Certainly gets a little confusing when searching .
HAPPY NEW YEAR ....All the best for 2013
Regards
DeborahM