Using IrfanView

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Shortfuse

Using IrfanView

Post by Shortfuse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 am

Once again looking for a bit of help----the story so far :-
I went onto SP site a while back and found a problem calling up previous images, after reading the forum I changed to "compatibility view" and direct download and this sorted out things out. The problem I have now is I can't print off any certs direct from the SP site.
I read on the web to use IrfanView to print out the certs but all it prints is a "header & footer" and a blank page between. Can anybody tell me how to convert the tiff image to a jpeg or similar in IrfanView in simple terms
regards to all sf

trish1

Re: Using IrfanView

Post by trish1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 pm

I find that a tiff or a jpg will print in irfanview - so not sure what is wrong.

Anyhow a suggestion

This is the direct download page on one of my images

Click this link to download the image direct:
JOHNSTON, MARGARET MITCHE (Statutory Births 646/01 0466) 63Kb

So when I click the link, I get a choice to download or open the image. I select open - and I can select the program to open with - irfanview is my default for images - but you can select it from a dropdown list if not your default. When the tiff image is now displayed in irfanview if you go to
file / print - the image will be displayed to the right of the print screen. Change to landscape if it is shown in portrait format and select the "best fit to page" option and then press print.

Alternatively if you still have a problem with the printing & want to save the image as a jpg
Select file / save as - go to the directory you want, give the filename you want & select jpg from the drop down list of file types then press save.

If your option to download the image direct goes directly to save the image as a tiff file - then you can resave as a jpg by opening in irfanview
Select file/ save - give the filename you want & select jpg from the list of file types & press save.

hope this helps

Trish

Shortfuse

Post by Shortfuse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Many thanks Trish on how to sort the problem. I have to go to the hospital this afternoon so will get onto it tonight. I always used Java to view the images and print them out, but for some reason the computer will not let active X ??? be installed. I removed Java reinstalled it still no luck. Although I find direct download to be quicker.
thanks again for your reply best regards sf

Shortfuse

Post by Shortfuse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Now printing a treat using IrfanView, many thanks again Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:00 am

So glad you could follow what I said - looked clear as mud after I typed it . Irfanview is my favorite image viewer - glad it works for you.

Trish

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Trish
Don't belittle your explanation. I was about to TRY to explain when up popped your very lucid description and I thought' mine would have been clear as mud !' =D> =D>

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:55 am

Russell wrote:Hi Trish
Don't belittle your explanation. I was about to TRY to explain when up popped your very lucid description and I thought' mine would have been clear as mud !' =D> =D>

Russell
When there are multi options to do the same thing - I find most descriptions look "clear as mud". And then I'm thinking - does it matter which browser is being used - and which version of windows - and etc .

thank you for the kind words - pleased the result was irfanview printing as it should. :)

Trish

emamc

Post by emamc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi all, I do not use IrfanView, and will have to look it up. I go for the easy option and rename the file with .jpg and can view it no problem.

Liz
Researching names: McQuade; Lynn; McSporran; Sweeney; Madden; Smith; McIlvaine; Burns; Burgess; McFarlane; Deignan; Barr; McMurchie: Dumbarton/Glasgow/Campbeltown/Co Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, Derry and Donegal