Scotlands People

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

WilmaM

Re: Scotlands People

Post by WilmaM » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:17 pm

One feature that I do NOT like is that there is no warning screen to chreck that you do wish to download a certificate and spend the credits.
I was checking the results on a Bennie/Bennie ladies death and on the touchscreen my finger slipped when scrolling through the results and I now an several credits poorer and an irrelevant death cert ,richer,!

I have contacted SP but beware! I think I'll stick to the good old desktop in the future.
Wilma

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:29 pm

It would be quite a nice gesture to have a free day on SP, or some free Credits, until we all get use to the new site......wishful thinking =D>
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 am

...my finger slipped when scrolling through the results and I now an several credits poorer and an irrelevant death cert...
Hi Wilma,

Same thing happened to me on my desktop only my fingers are shaky and arthritic and move involuntarily and ended up clicking on an image I didn't want to purchase. I wrote to SP explaining this and asked them to consider putting the warning message back. I got my credits back. Hopefully if enough people write to them the will change it back.

Regards,
Anne

UPDATED! This is sorted now. You now have the option of purchasing or not. =D>

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:17 pm

3 weeks later a reply!
1) a "Confirm purchase" message is now in place to allow customers to cancel the potential purchase of an image. This should allow you to change your mind should you wish to do so.

2) your 6 credits have been put back onto your account. Going forward, please note that searching of the indexes is now free of charge. You are only charged when you opt to view an image.

3) there are a number of issues with the search functionality which are currently being addressed. To keep up-to-date with these, you can do so by accessing this link - https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/cont ... working-on
They are obviously snowed under with 'feedback' from users as well as trying to straighten out the tangles.

I think i'll leave it another good few weeks before I do any serious searching.
Wilma

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 am

nelmit wrote:I'm not sure if anybody has queried this...................I tried searching with maiden and married names for a death but the index brought up pages and pages of one name or the other.

Is this a glitch or can you not get results for both names together.

Hope that makes sense.

Annette
I've only just started trying to search on the new SP & find this is also happening for baptisms when giving parent names - alternatively I get nothing found. Saving grace is not having to pay for searches that don't give the right results. Also found the "start with" option of names doesn't appear to work for surnames - haven't tried it on given names.

Seems they know about most of these - Guess I'll have to wait - or keep using family search which finds most of what I am looking for.

Just to add - the searches are weird - I searched to an Ann Mathers - died 1861-1871 - selected one of the results - turned out to be an Ann whose mother's name was Mathers - just asked for a refund.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:28 am

Seems I am completely confused with the death searches for married women. I've tried searching for name xxxx other name yyyy and I get all of EITHER name rather than records that only contain BOTH names. Is this what other people are finding? Did it work like this in the old system?

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:22 am

Hello Trish,

I think it worked before, but I'm not really sure. It must have, Annette mentioned it as well.

Here's a list of what they are working on. https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/cont ... working-on

“Statutory registers of death (other surname field) - there is an issue with the other surname field and work is in progress to address this. Please do not use this field in searching or filtering of the time being.”

All the best,
Alan

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi Trish and Alan,

This feature worked fine under the previous provider of ScotlandsPeople, but is yet to work with the new provider.

Here's hoping that their 'to do' list of outstanding issues is getting the priority that it deserves. In the meantime, people will be putting off their ScotlandsPeople 'searches by two surnames', where currently it seems to function by 'OR' rather than 'AND' logic, thus producing unworkable search results.

All the best,

AndrewP

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:35 pm

I discovered a workaround for women' s deaths when the list is returned sort on the RDName, by clicking on RDName in the list header. Then you can scroll more quickly looking for duplicate RDName records, and check that the Ref is the same and that should give you the two names listed one after the other.

Certainly makes it easier when searching through ten pages of names!!! and will allow you to find the records until they sort their logic in the code.

John

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:38 am

Thanks for the replies Alan, Andrew & John - I found a slightly different work around John - I search by 1 name, find the likely suspects & then check for those exact details (place/year) using first name only. Your method is obviously quicker - I didn't even realise you could sort the results.

If anyone can remember from the old system - did BOTH names appear in the index - that would sure make it easier to find what you were looking for - even if the "other" search does not work.

Trish