How do I do this???

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Maud Jarvis

How do I do this???

Post by Maud Jarvis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 am

On reading about how information can be lost due to a c0mputer crashing etc.
Perhaps you could answer some questions for me, I am so ignorant about the technicalities of computers and a bit scared at times I will d something wrong.

What would happen for instance, if I were to purchase a new computer, I have for instance, my family tree in full details on Tribal Pages, also some on Genes Reunited, would this information still be on their sites? and would I still be able to access it from a new computer???

What would happen to photos stored on my present computer, how could I save them? could I transfer the info and photos on to a new disc?

At present I write up all my family history notes and stories on floppy discs, but apparently newer computers do`nt have floppy discs, so how could I transfer any information that I wished to retain?

When I read about hard drives, how would I clear any information that would be on there? for instance bank details etc, is there a way of deleting anything? if I wanted to sell my present computer, how would I prevent my details going with it?

I am thinking of getting a new computer soon, so I want to make sure of doing the right thing

Just being curious I would like to know quite a number of things, hope I do`nt sound too daft
Seeking any descendents from Ezekiel McCulloch, Port Glasgow, also Neil Barr (Greenock)

emanday
Global Moderator

Re: How do I do this???

Post by emanday » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Maud Jarvis wrote:On reading about how information can be lost due to a c0mputer crashing etc.
Perhaps you could answer some questions for me, I am so ignorant about the technicalities of computers and a bit scared at times I will d something wrong.

What would happen for instance, if I were to purchase a new computer, I have for instance, my family tree in full details on Tribal Pages, also some on Genes Reunited, would this information still be on their sites? and would I still be able to access it from a new computer???
All of the information you have put onto these sites is saved on THEIR servers. Were you to go to anyone else's computer right now you would be able to access them quite easily, as long as you can key in the username and password you have set up for each site.
What would happen to photos stored on my present computer, how could I save them? could I transfer the info and photos on to a new disc?
There is actually two ways of solving this problem. Some computer shops will, if you take your old computer in, transfer all your stuff to your new one. Some even do this free of charge.

Alternatively, you could buy an external hard disc and copy all your stuff onto that. When you get your new computer, you can then transfer them to it. An external hard disc is a good idea anyway, as it is an excellent place to backup your files onto.
At present I write up all my family history notes and stories on floppy discs, but apparently newer computers do`nt have floppy discs, so how could I transfer any information that I wished to retain?
Basically the same answer as above.
When I read about hard drives, how would I clear any information that would be on there? for instance bank details etc, is there a way of deleting anything? if I wanted to sell my present computer, how would I prevent my details going with it?
After your have received your new computer and made sure you have copied all your stuff onto it, you will need to reformat your hard disc. I usually do this at least three times to make sure it is completely cleared. Then reinstall whatever version of Windows you had on it before.
I am thinking of getting a new computer soon, so I want to make sure of doing the right thing

Just being curious I would like to know quite a number of things, hope I do`nt sound too daft
You don't sound at all daft. In fact, it is very sensible that you asked.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Maud Jarvis

How do I do this

Post by Maud Jarvis » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Thank you for the helpful replies
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I have had a horrific few days with my son, going back & forward to the hospital in the ambulance, him in severe pain, caused by a 2" stone in his bladder.

Sunday night was the worst, had to ceall out the ambulance once again!
thankfully, this time instead of just getting him out of pain and being sent home, this time he was kept in, and is now waiting to know when they are going to remove the stone.

Hopefully the op will be tomorrow, just waiting to hear from him.
I think I must have slept all day yesterday! I was so shattered, not getting any sleep and then sitting for hours in the hospital, especially on a hard uncfomrtable seat! my bum was quite sore.

I have only just turned the computer on today, to try and catch up.
Seeking any descendents from Ezekiel McCulloch, Port Glasgow, also Neil Barr (Greenock)

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:14 pm

No problem, Maud.

I hope your son is on the mend very soon.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:00 am

Hi Maud
Glad you have caught up on sleep, given your 'numb bum' time to recover.
Poor lad though Gall bladder pain is awful. It can go all the way up to the shoulder blade and nothing you take affects it. It drains your resistance too. glad everything is going to be sorted out.

Russell
O.S. Everbody under 60 is a 'lad' or a 'lass' to me! :?
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Maud,
I would second Russell's comments on the pain and hope your son is now in recovery and can begin forget the whole thing... Very hard to be the mother looking on, though. I sympathize.
Russell wrote:O.S. Everbody under 60 is a 'lad' or a 'lass' to me! :?
Thanks for that rejuvenating thought, Russell!
A "lass" in Minnesota :D