Why would a Lanarkshire man join an Irish Regiment

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

djcrtoye

Why would a Lanarkshire man join an Irish Regiment

Post by djcrtoye » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:20 am

Hi just found out today the my Great Granda Toy joined the Connaught Rangers in 1903. Why would he choose that one over the many Scottish Regiments. Also he served in ww1 up until Oct 1915 when his reserve time was up. Always thought he was a miner through out ww1, he went back down the mines after his army service. Thanks

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:43 am

Did a quick Google and quite a lot came up about them, but this one seems to explain, I think...

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/ex ... ticle/31/3 This gives some indication that the Connaught Rangers history in Scotland goes back a fair bit.

http://www.connaughtrangers.com/ Is a new site dedicated to creating a memorial but it is still only under construction, but there is a Contact Me option. Might be worth getting in touch?
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

djcrtoye

Post by djcrtoye » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks for your sites had a quick look and see that it has a tradition of recruits from the Glasgow area. Left my query for the other site.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:17 pm

The Scottish connection is actually via the 94th of Foot, the designation given to the Scotch Brigade who came onto the British establishment in 1794, - the Scotch Brigade were in Dutch Service for 215 years.

The 94th were amalgamated in the 1881 Cardwell reforms with the 88th Regiment of Foot (Connaught Rangers), to form The Connaught Rangers

See http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/094-823.htm for the specific Glasgow connection.

David
Last edited by DavidWW on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:20 pm

You're welcome :D

I could understand why you were confused, though. One of my rellies, believed to have been of Scottish origin but yet to prove it, was living in Ireland in the 1840's and married an Irish girl in 1845.

Then I discovered, on finding the Mauritius birth of a son, that he had joined a Northumberland regiment fairly soon after his marriage :shock:

With DavidWW's help it became clear that the regiment was in his area in Ireland at that time and he must have decided to join them because they were convenient.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

toye

Re: Why would a Lanarkshire man join an Irish Regiment

Post by toye » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi

I beleive yet another reason could be that from the little research that I have done so far. My father (Neil Peter Toye)...his father William Toy (surname spelt without E) lived in Longgrigend but futher back in history came from Ireland. So the tie with Ireland may also be a family tie.

Best Regards
Rosamund (nee Toye)