1st Fife Artillery Volunteers, Stirling

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

esbrennan

1st Fife Artillery Volunteers, Stirling

Post by esbrennan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Can anyone tell me which regiment the militia from the 13th Battery, 1st Fife Artillery Volunteers, Stirling would have become part of when the militia were disbanded ?

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi & welcome to [talkingscot] .
Now I should know where to look for this as I had a similar query but for the life of me I can't think where.
I will have a look & get back to you but I am sure somebody else will beat me to it.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:23 am

Hello esbrennan,

Unfortunately http://www.regiments.org/ which usually contains this sort of information is still off the air.

Here’s a picture of 1st Fife Volunteer Artillery in July 1902 http://www.burntisland.net/jlm/jlm-4.htm

The nearest I can find to an answer to your question is an entry in the London Gazette of 22nd December which appears to say that from 2nd August 1908 the Fife Royal Garrison Artillery (Militia), is transferred as a unit of the Army Reserve and becomes the Fife Royal Field Artillery
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPD ... n&gpn=9757

Hope that helps a bit,
Alan

esbrennan

getting closer

Post by esbrennan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi Alan,

thanks very much for that. I did manage to use regiments.org before it disappeared. Hopefully it will return. Your information has helped clarify their info. although I am still a bit confused.

According to your article and regiments.org they became the Fife Royal Field Reserve Artillery in 1908 but were then disbanded in 1909. The obvious assumption is that they became part of of the Royal Artillery but they were reserve so does that mean they became part of the T.A. ? I found an order of battle on www.scotsatwar.org.uk/printerv/regiment.htm which I took to mean they went into battle as the 3rd Battalion Princess Louise's Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. That seemed to be confirmed by an article on www.aboutscotland.com/argylls/allied.html

Obviously I need to learn more about the army. I am trying to trace the correct regiment as an elderly friend has a cup he wants to leave to the appropriate museum.

Anyway, thanks again. The photos are great.
Elizabeth

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:37 am

Back again Elizabeth,

The National Archives has a document that adds to the evidence but doesn’t solve the puzzle http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... 443263&j=1

If I google for “Fife Royal Field Reserve Artillery” or for “Fife Royal Field Artillery” I get no results at all. If I search in the London Gazette for those terms for the first I get five results and they are only for two officers retiring and three or four more being moved into the General and Special Reserves of Officers Royal Regiment of Artillery. A search for the second term only brings up the one I posted earlier but it does bring up two late 1908 results in the Scotsman Archives.
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.a ... ype=London

http://archive.scotsman.com/search.cfm

Those names presumably therefore being the official ones you would think there would have been more information there, regardless of the fact that they weren’t around for long.

Alan

esbrennan

Confirmation

Post by esbrennan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks again,

I had a very useful reply from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Museum. They tell me the volunteers would have become part of the Royal Artillery as they were an artillery reserve. The Royal Artillery Museum simply sent me a bog standard e-mail asking for 40 pounds before they could tell me anything at all.

Now I just need to work out how Colour Sergeant John Walker ended up in Brisbane, Aus. in 1890. That'll have to wait until next month.

Gules1812

Re: 1st Fife Artillery Volunteers, Stirling

Post by Gules1812 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:05 pm

esbrennan wrote:Can anyone tell me which regiment the militia from the 13th Battery, 1st Fife Artillery Volunteers, Stirling would have become part of when the militia were disbanded ?
I too am interested in the same Battery - I can send you the info I have its from
Records of the
Scottish Volunteer Force
1859-1908
BY
LIEUT.-GENERAL SIR JAMES MONCRIEFF GRIERSON
K.C.B., C.V.O., C.M.G., 231.
with a new introduction by
LAURENCE V. ARCHER

Frederick Muller Ltd

I also have a cup won by my G Grandfather C.Sgt.Major John Dun

Should have attached this previously;

Records of the
Scottish Volunteer Force
1859-1908
BY
LIEUT.-GENERAL SIR JAMES MONCRIEFF GRIERSON
K.C.B., C.V.O., C.M.G., 231.
with a new introduction by
LAURENCE V. ARCHER

Frederick Muller Ltd

Pages 126-7
ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY VOLUNTEERS.
NOTES COMMON TO ALL THE CORPS.

IN the following records of individual corps they have been placed in the order of their precedence in the whole force of Volunteer Garrison Artillery, which numbered sixty-eight corps, in the United Kingdom, namely :—
9. 1st Edinburgh (City).
11. 1st Mid-Lothian.
13. 1st Banff.
17. lst Forfarshire.
30. 1st Renfrew and Dumbarton.
32. 1st Fife.
35. 1st Lanarkshire.
38. 1st Ayr and Galloway.
39. 1st Argyll and Bu..
43. 1st Caithness.
45. 1st Aberdeenshire.
46. 1st Berwickshire.
47. The Highland.
54. 1st Orkney.
The following changes of designation took place, and are common to all corps, to no mention of them has been made in the corps records:—
In 1882 all the Scottish artillery volunteer corps were "affiliated " to the " Scottish Division, Royal Artillery," but this involved no change in their titles.
By Army Order 166 of August 1891 the corps were termed " Volunteer Artillery Corps," and affiliated to the " Southern Division, Royal Artillery," but were not required to add the latter designation to their county titles. This affiliation to divisions was discontinued in 1901.
By Army Order 27 of February 1902 the corps were desig¬nated, e.g., "1st Edinburgh (City) Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers)."
Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers. 127
The "companies" of volunteer artillery first raised were in 1860 designated " batteries," and this title they continued to bear till 1891, when by Army Order 234 of November they were termed " companies," in accordance with the nomen¬clature adopted for the regular garrison artillery. When " position," afterwards called " heavy," batteries were formed in 1889, the personnel of two " garrison batteries " had to be combined to man each. This led to confusion, so in 1892 these position batteries were made independent units, and by Army Order 218 of November 1892 a numbering was ordered by which, in corps composed entirely of position batteries or garrison companies, these were numbered from 1 onwards, and in corps composed partly of position batteries and partly of garrison companies the former were numbered first—e.g., 1st, 2nd, and 3rd,—the garrison companies being numbered in sequence, 4th, 5th, &c. Thus in the corps records the words " battery " and " company " are used before and after 1892 to designate the same unit, " position " or "heavy " battery being specially used to designate units of that nature. The "position" batteries were designated " heavy " by Army Order 120 of May 1902.
The uniform of the artillery volunteers has from the first been closely modelled on that of the Royal Artillery, therefore it has only been considered necessary to mention in the corps records the original uniforms of 1859-60, which varied consider¬ably according to the fancy of individual corps, but always were dark blue. It was only in 1878 that the scarlet Austrian knot and cap-band were ordered to be worn as the badges to distinguish the volunteer from the militia and regular artillery, and silver lace for officers and white metal buttons for all ranks were from the first worn. As a head-dress, the busby of the Royal Artillery was universally adopted in the "early sixties," and this was replaced in 1880-81 by the helmet, at first worn with a spike and afterwards with a ball. At the "Coming of Age Review in 1881 the 1st Edinburgh (City) and the 1st Renfrew and Dumbarton Artillery were the only corps which still wore the busby. The latter gave it up shortly afterwards, and the former was the only corps in Scotland which, till 1908, wore the head¬dress it assumed on its first formation.
Page 140
FIFESHIRE ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY
(VOLUTEERS)
(FIFE AND STIRLING.)
PLATE IV,
ORDER OF PRECEDENCE, 32
The Right Honourable. V. A. EARL OF ELGIN AND KINCARDINE,
Etc. March 26, 1902.
Headquarters—KIRKCALDY .
ON 27th November 1860 the 1st Administrative Brigade Fifeshire Artillery Volunteers, with head¬quarters at Kirkcaldy, was formed, and to it were attached, then or on their subsequent dates of forma¬tion, the following corps of Fifeshire Artillery Volun¬teers of one battery each, except the 8th, which at first had two :—
1st, Ferryport-on-Craig (Tayport), formed January 26, 1860.
2nd, Newport, formed April 13, 1860.
3rd, St Andrews, formed March 6, 1860. Uniform—blue long-skirted tunics with red collars and piping, four rows of black lace on the breast, and black Austrian knot, blue trousers with red piping, blue caps with turned-down peak, black band, and red piping, and white waist-belts. The officers had silver lace on their collars and silver shoulder-cords.
4th, Inverkeithing, formed March 3, 1860.
5th, Kirkcaldy, formed March 22, 1860. Uniform—blue long-skirted tunics bound with flat black braid, scarlet collars with silver grenade and black Austrian knot, blue trousers with black braid and red piping on both aides, caps like the 3rd Corps, with straight peaks, and brown pouch and waist-belts, the former with a badge of the Royal Arms, the latter with the Thane of Fife on the belt-plate.
Ith, Burntisland, formed February 20, 1860.
7th, Elie, formed March 8, 1860; headquarters transferred to Anstruther in 1872,

Page 141
8th,Leven, formed July 124, 1860, of two batteries. Uniform-
tunic as for the 3rd Corps (with silver cord on the collar)
trousers, cap, and belts as for 5th Corps. Reduced: to one and a half batteries in 1866 and to one battery in 1875..
9th, Dysart, formed September 19, 1860.
10th, East Wemyss, formed January 16,1862, out of the overflow of the 8th. Uniform as for the 8th.
11th, Kinghorn, formed April 30, 1863.
The uniforms of the corps not mentioned above were of the same type as that of the 5th ; some had broad red stripes on the trousers, some white and others brown belts, and all wore the peaked cap.
In 1863 the following corps of Stirlingshire Artillery Volunteers were added to the brigade :
1st, Grangemouth, formed Mlarch 27, 1860. Uniform—long
skirted blue tunic with four rows of flat black braid, red
collars with silver lace and black Austrian knot, blue
trousers with red stripes, round forage caps with red band
(piped with silver cord for officers), and brown belts.
2nd, Stirling, formed May 30, 1860, as one subdivision. In
creased to one battery April 17, 1861. Uniform as for
the 1st, but with white belts.
In 1863 the whole brigade adopted the regulation artillery tunic with scarlet cord, busby, and forage cap with scarlet band, and brown belts, which were discarded later for white. Helmets replaced the busby in 1881. In 1861, headquarters of the brigade were transferred to St Andrews, and in 1880 the brigade was consoli¬dated as the 1st Fifeshire Artillery Volunteers, head¬quarters at St Andrews, with thirteen batteries, the Fife batteries retaining their numbers as above, and the Stirlingshire corps becoming Nos. 12 and 13 Batteries. In 1882 the 7th Battery (Anstruther) was disbanded, and in its place a new 7th formed at St Andrews out of University students.
In 1889 a position battery of 16-pounder guns was
Page 142
issued to the corps and manned by the 3rd (St Andrews) Battery, and an extra personnel specially raised. In 1892 this became the 1st Position Battery, the Tayport (1st) Company became the 2nd, and the 2nd (Kirkcaldy, transferred thither from Newport on March 3, 1888) became the 3rd. Lieutenant J. N. Hotchkis of the 1st Fife R.G.A.V. served with the 18th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry during the South African War. On March 1, 1900, a new 14th Company was formed at Kirkcaldy, and in 1901 the 16-pounders of the position battery were replaced by 4.7 guns. In October 1906 headquarters were moved to Kirkcaldy.
The distribution of the corps till 1908 was, - 1st Heavy Battery and No. 7 Company, St Andrews ; No. 2 Company, Tayport ; Nos. 3, 5, and 14, Kirkcaldy ; No. 4, Inverkeithing; No. 6, Burntisland ; No. 8, Leven ; No. 9, Dysart ; No. 10, East Wemyss ; No. 11, King-horn ; No. 12, Grangemouth ; and No. 13, Stirling. Gun drill and gun practice were carried out with 4.7-in., 5-in., and 6-in. Mark VII. B.L. guns at Kinghornness, and with 6-in. Mark VII. guns at Carlingnose. The corps had 10 carbine ranges, and held also the Pilmuir Links range, near St Andresen, conjointly with the 6th Volunteer Battalion, Black Watch.
The lieutenant-colonels commandant have been-William Maitland M`Dougall of Scotscraig, Admiral, retired, Royal Navy, November 27, 1860.
John N. M'Leod, April 29, 1874.
R. Tod Boothby, late Major Forfar and Kincardine Artillery Militia, and from 1861 to 1879 Adjutant of the Brigade (hon. col.), June 28, 1882.
James William Johnston,' M.V.O., V.D. (hon. col.), November 19, 1892.
Robert C. Highet, September 30, 1907.
Colonel Johnston in one of three volunteer officers who marched past, at the Royal Reviews of 1860, 1881, and 190.5, always in the name corps.
Last edited by Gules1812 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Brown

Post by Adam Brown » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:29 pm

If they are in Grierson's book then they were Volunteers and not Militia, there is a difference.

In 1908 the Volunteers were organised into the Territorial Force. Not every volunteer unit had a successor in the TF so

it may be that the unit was disbanded.

I'll check out Grierson as well to see what he says.

Regards

Adam
[url=http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/]Scottish War Memorials[/url]
[url=http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/]Scottish War Graves[/url]
[url=http://scottishmonuments.s2.bizhat.com/]Scottish Monuments, Memorials and Architectural Sculpture[/url]

Adam Brown

Post by Adam Brown » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:47 am

At the back of Grierson it also lists which TF unts were formed from the Volunteers.

For 1st Fife RGA it was splt between:

North Scottish RGA (2 coys)
Fifeshire Battery RFA
Highland (Fifeshire) RGA (1 Heavy Battery and ammuniton column)

It may be that the Stiring and Gangemouth companies became part of North Scottish RGA in 1908?

Adam
[url=http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/]Scottish War Memorials[/url]
[url=http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/]Scottish War Graves[/url]
[url=http://scottishmonuments.s2.bizhat.com/]Scottish Monuments, Memorials and Architectural Sculpture[/url]

Eileen McKoy

No. 10 Battery of the Garrison Artillery

Post by Eileen McKoy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:04 pm

The following is an article in a 1927 Fife newspaper concerning my great grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Rodger of East Wemyss, Fife:

Mr. Rodger was one of the old hands in the No. 10 Battery of the Garrison Artillery - a Sergeant till he joined the Volunteer Band. There were three or four sergeants in the band, he explained, and we felt it was a bit odd having so many, so we handed back our stripes. He was one of those at the memorable review by Queen Victoria when the sunny morning emerged into a terrible downpour and the slopes of the Queen's Park became one expanse of umbrellas, and the Volunteers were like spotted leopards; when mounted officers collapsed on dismounting, and many strong men laid the seeds of fatal illness. Colonel Johnston and the late Captain Wemyss were their officers, and Mr. Rodger tells how they marched to Granton, to find the ferry boat just leaving, crowded fore and aft. Refreshments were served out to them; but the men, thinking on the heat and comfort in the hotel, were eager to break the ranks. The Captain went to report their sentiments to his colleagues in the hotel. "We'll never get them home tonight if they do," declared Captain Wemyss. "Take down as much whisky as you can carry, but keep them on parade."

Somehow, they got home. Mr. Rodger was not a whit the worse; he was at his work work next day. Sergeant-Majors during his connection with the popular No 10 Battery were Messrs. Thomson, R. Scott, asnd J. Stewart.