Uniforms

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Uniforms

Post by HeatherH » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 pm

Hello all,
I just posted a piccie of my Grandpa William Johnstone in the Gallery.(Right chuffed I managed it too) I'm looking to identify his uniform as I have been told it may not be from the Gordon Highlanders though I know he served with them in WW1. Any advice on where to start?

http://www.talkingscot.com/gallery/disp ... php?pid=60
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

Ted

Re: Uniforms

Post by Ted » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Heather

The badge on the glengarry he is wearing should confirm it - the Gordons regimental badge is in white gunmetal - a stags head with ivy wreaths rising at either side and a central scroll with the word Bydand.

Can you scan the original at a higher resolution to help zoom in on the badge?

Regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm hoping my sister has the original. I only have a copy and I can't get good scans from it to blow up. I do have his hat badge though. :D
It looks more like a tam or bonnet than a Glengarry to me.
But its the Black sporran and white tassels that really stumps me. I have found lots of other images of men in uniform of that time and haven't seen any like it. Could it have been something on hand at the photographers as a prop to look fancy for a family keepsake. Like the cane in his hand?
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Could you explain what the cap badge looks like?

We might be able to identify it by the description.

Anne

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Or better still - take a photo of the badge and upload it to the gallery.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Meant to say - you are quite correct Heather he is not wearing a glengarry - more like a bonnet.
The sporran is a bit strange - doesn't look like any if the usual regimental sporrans.

Ted

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:15 am

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=61

I think I have just posted the link for the medal Index Card. The only regiment listed is 2nd Gordons. Grampa didn't come from a well to do family that could have afforded a cadet school (as had been suggested for where the uniform may have come from)
The Jacket looks the basic jacket prior to WW1. The rounded tails on the front . The pockets suggest pre WW1 as well. I have found out service numbers 274 onward joined on 2nd March 1909
420 onward joined on 21st February 1910 . So 379 has him joining between 1909-1910 making him 20-21. I have gone though the overseas military census for 1911 for the 2nd Gordon Highlanders in India but no sign of him. I did notice others who were absent were listed but but noted and also noted if in England or Scotland so on. So he doesn't seem to be with the regiment for the census.
Any ideas?

The hat badge I have is the stag with bydand . Its cut away not a square with a stamp or engraving so not the hat badge seen in this picture. Sorry.

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:10 am

Although the MIC has him in 2nd Gordons for WW1 his early service may have been an attachment to a militia unit. It might be worth posting it on the Victorian Wars Forum - there are some real experts there on minute details relating to uniforms pre WW1. I've had some fantastic results from that forum that I could not get elsewhere.

My own grandfather also had pre war service around the same time as yours and I found out loads more info from that forum.

As well as the sporran the hat does not seem familiar to the usual Scottish regiments either.

Ted

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Could the tam be Seaforth Highlanders? Only one I can find that looks similar - but SFH one did not seem to have the checked band.

Ted

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:53 am

I've been digging about looking into Cadet units. Along the way I found this video...

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/scotlands-sturdy-sons

The Highland Light Infantry Glasgow...
Just look as the lads come round the corner , there's the Black Sporran and 3 short white tassels.
My Grandfather was living in Kelvin on the 1901 census, His older sister also married in Kelvin in 1897. And his older brother married in Blythswood in 1901 listing his Mum's address as his own on the marriage cert. He stayed in Kelvin till immigrating to Boston , Mass, USA in 1907.
Could William be in a cadet branch of this unit in the above picture?