Pipe Major Robert C. Forbes, R.A.F.

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

aboode

Pipe Major Robert C. Forbes, R.A.F.

Post by aboode » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:02 pm

I am looking for information about Robert Cameron Forbes. This is what I have at the moment:
- Born: 1920 Perthshire, Scotland - Died: 2005 Dallas TX, U.S.A.
- P/M R.A.F. from 1937
- Was in the R.A.F. from 1937 to 1953, retired as a Flight Lieutenant.
- Emigrated to the U.S.A. and was a member of the North Texas Caledonian Pipes & Drums.
Does anyone know more about him? In particular I would like to know in which R.A.F. Pipe Band(s) he was Pipe Major and when (year from-to) and his place of birth.
Aad

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Pipe Major Robert C. Forbes, R.A.F.

Post by AndrewP » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:10 am

Hi Aad,

[TS_welcome]

On http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk there is one match for a 1920 birth of a Robert Cameron Forbes. As he was born less than 100 years ago, his birth certificate is not available online. To see that, you would have to pay the fee for a 'legal extract' of his birth certificate (which they would then send out to you by post), or go into the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh (or one of its outposts elsewhere in Scotland). The info that you can see on the ScotlandsPeople website is from their index, and the same as you have already, with the addition that his birth was registered in the district of Clunie (Perthshire). Clunie (or Cluny) is immediately east of Dunkeld.

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//reg ... let-S2.pdf

All the best,

AndrewP

Rf0225sf

Post by Rf0225sf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Robert Cameron Forbes was my husbands grandfather. What is it that you would like to know?

Rf0225sf

Post by Rf0225sf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:15 pm

He was born in Clunie Perthshire, Scotland January 10th 1920.

aboode

Post by aboode » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Rf0225sf wrote:Robert Cameron Forbes was my husbands grandfather. What is it that you would like to know?
I am compiling a list of Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums worldwide and would like to add him to my list. He apparently became P/M when he joined the RAF in 1937, but would like to know in which pipe band (base or squadron) and till what year.
Your help will be appreciated.
Aad