WW2 medals

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Orlaith17

WW2 medals

Post by Orlaith17 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 pm

I know this is a shot in the dark, but hoping someone can help. My late father in law served in RAF in WW2. We know he held the Air Crew Europe star, as well as other standard medals. It was only after my mother in law died and the house was cleared and my husband asked about their medals (she also served with airforce) that he was told his dad had sold the medals some years before. Husband woukd have loved to have the Air Crew Europe star in particular, but hadn't wanted to ask for it, thinking his mum woukd wish to keep it. I have searched online hoping to somehow find the medals for sale. Tried usual places, EBay, Amazin, but nothing with his name. Does anyone know if there is like a search agent that can trawl through all military dealers and search for medals with his name for sale?.If anyone can suggest any source where I can put out a note of interest about his medals and hope someone might get back to me, I woukd be most grateful. It's the original named medals I want, not copies.

Currie

Re: WW2 medals

Post by Currie » Mon May 01, 2017 4:03 am

Hello Orlaith,

Unfortunately British WW2 Campaign Medals were unnamed.

From the Air Crew Europe Star wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Crew_Europe_Star

“Reverse.
The reverse is plain and, as with the other Second World War campaign medals, a no engraving policy was applied by all but three British Commonwealth countries. The recipient's name was impressed on the reverse for Australians, Indians and South Africans, in the case of South Africans the recipient's force number, initials and surname in block capitals.“

Which means that there would need to have been some sort of original identifying information of interest included with the medals when they were sold, and kept with them to this day, for there to be any prospect of finding them. I suspect that would be extremely rare.

All the best,
Alan

p.s. There is the British Medal Forum, but it seems you need to be registered to access it. http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Awww, I knew the Air Crew Europe Star wasn't named, but hoped the others were, and I could have bought them as a set. But if none were named, guess there's no point in searching for originals. Thank you for the information.

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Again hoping for some advice here. I have found some air crew Europe medals for sale both in EBay and from military medal dealers online. They are stated as being genuine and original, and the price does seem to suggest that is the case. Are there any questions I can ask to try to confirm their authenticity? Or can anyone recommend a reputable dealer online I can try to purchase from?

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 am

I haven't been down that track so can't make a recommendation. If you don't get a response here maybe the medal forum could help. Possibly they have a list of dealers there.

How to tell a fake.
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britis ... pyfake.htm

I guess it would be much safer buying from a dealer who has a physical presence in the UK than from an unknown on eBay or the like.

Best of luck,
Alan