Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:42 pm

Wow Wow Wow!!! David - thank you so much for taking all that trouble to answer me. I'm going to study it all now - then have a wee lie doon - and see what progress I can make !

Just spend some time studying the www.regiments.org site, and when he's watching that channel next time, he might just get a surprise
A surprise David - he'd be looking behind me to see who's making my mouth go!!! :lol:

Thanks again for all your help (you've not heard the last of me, I think :wink: )

StewL - thank you too - last night after I'd posted I had a look at the medals we're lucky enough to have - that confirmed the number, so I'm just off to get the medals card. There is a possibility that I've found the Canadian one as well, but not too sure.

I really hope that one day I'll be able to help someone on this site!

Pinkshoes

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:23 pm

pinkshoes wrote:Wow Wow Wow!!! David - thank you so much for taking all that trouble to answer me. I'm going to study it all now - then have a wee lie doon - and see what progress I can make ! ....much snipped.........
Nae prob!

I learnt a bit about the "corps" situation, - I don't just "inhabit" TS to supply info but also to learn, as I know full well that I will never stop learning; and then you posed a fascinating question in relation to a soldier coming out of the 7 year active service element of his 12 year engagement who then emigrates, as many must have done, so I that want to know the answer to that scenario :!: :)

David

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:25 pm

DavidWW wrote:
pinkshoes wrote:Wow Wow Wow!!! David - thank you so much for taking all that trouble to answer me. I'm going to study it all now - then have a wee lie doon - and see what progress I can make ! ....much snipped.........
Nae prob!

I learnt a bit about the "corps" situation, - I don't just "inhabit" TS to supply info but also to learn, as I know full well that I will never stop learning; and then you posed a fascinating question in relation to a soldier coming out of the 7 year active service element of his 12 year engagement who then emigrates, as many must have done, so I that want to know the answer to that scenario :!: :)

David
Herewith the answer from my expert mate.

"The reserve period wouldn't have lapsed if the man went overseas. There's no sign that the War Office or Regiment kept addresses of reservists (in August 1914 they were called up by notices in the press, in cinemas and even by notices on lamp posts). I doubt it was practical to keep a list of reservists addresses and probably not practical to try and pursue men who'd gone abroad if they didn't honour their commitment.

I suspect that a reservist in Canada would do the decent thing and report to the local barracks and serve in a Canadian unit, declaring his previous service in the British Army. There is a website of the Canadian archives (which has fairly recently changed its address so I'm not sure I have it) where service records for Canadians who served in the Boer War are listed - I think their enlistment docs are even available on line.
"

BTW my mate's name is Phil Tomaselli, - some of you may recognize the name, as he's a regular writer on matters military in the UK genealogy magazines, - if anyone would like to contact him, please email me on 106200.1510@compuserve.com and I'll pass on his email address.

My experience of the costs of using Phil's top expertise on the military records at Kew is that his charges are less than other researchers that I used some years ago. And that's entirely within the spirit of the advertising code on TS as there's no direct personal benefit to me :!: :wink:

David

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:00 pm

Thanks for that information David (and thanks to your pal too!!!) :D

I've sent you the other stuff.

Regards
Pinkshoes