DESPATCHES.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

AnnetteR

DESPATCHES.....

Post by AnnetteR » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi all

Forgive my ignorance but in my Great Uncle's obituary (died WW1) it says "mentioned in despatches Twice" - could sks tell me what that means :oops:

Thanks in advance

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

DavidWW

Re: DESPATCHES

Post by DavidWW » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:58 pm

AnnetteR wrote:Hi all

Forgive my ignorance but in my Great Uncle's obituary (died WW1) it says "mentioned in despatches Twice" - could sks tell me what that means :oops:

Thanks in advance

Annette R
A "mention in despatches" relates to the actions of a soldier thought to be sufficient to bring to the attention of the army authorities back in London, but not sufficient to warrant the award of a DCM, MM or even VC.

In many cases it is now accepted that the action that led to a "mention in despatches" was worthy of a much higher gallantry award, but there just weren't the witnesses, especially an officer or at least a senior NCO who could provide the evidence.

It is more than probable that the regimental diary, if extant, will refer to this MiD,and, also, there may be a mention of the Mid in the London Gazette, -see other posts in relation to these being on-line and searchable.

David

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi David

Thanks for that. I have already got one mention in the London Gazette from when he was awarded the DCM. I guess I'll just have to go searching again to try and find the other.

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.