Regiments.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Bertha

Regiments.....

Post by Bertha » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:00 pm

My gr gr gr grandfather served in the 100th Regiment of Foot can anyone tell me if it had another name/ He was from Dungiven in Ireland.
Regards
Bertha
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

DavidWW

Re: Regiments

Post by DavidWW » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:11 pm

Bertha wrote:My gr gr gr grandfather served in the 100th Regiment of Foot can anyone tell me if it had another name/ He was from Dungiven in Ireland.
Regards
Bertha
Depends on the date - no name as such around 1810, but from later in the 1800s to 1922 The Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment.

David

Bertha

Regiments

Post by Bertha » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:24 pm

Thanks David, according to the National Archives, Charles Kelly served in the 100th Regiment of Foot 1810-1815. Going to do a proper search with them and see what info I can glean.
Regards
Bertha
looking for
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:18 am

In that case it was probably just the plain 100th Regiment of Foot.

David

Skywave

Post by Skywave » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:14 pm

Bertha,

Sorry just picked up on this one :oops: , the 100th Regiment of Foot is listed as being:

100th Regiment of Foot (Prince of Wales' Royal Canadian Regiment of Foot)

See: http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-regiments-of-foot

Ron

mctaz

Post by mctaz » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:54 am

This may be of interest, in particular the reference to Ulster (Dungiven being in Ulster):
There seems to be a fair bit of confusion regarding the 100th Regiment of Foot--and a great amount of misinformation. The 100th (County of Dublin) Regiment was raised in 1804 and was shipped to Canada in the autumn of 1805. While some of the soldiers were of English or Scottish extraction, over half were recruited in Ulster.... On May 2, 1812 the regimental name was changed to "HRH Prince Regent's County of Dublin"
Read More at:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... iment.html

Jim
Scotland: Rouse, Innes, Fotheringham, Imrie, McCready
=====================================
Ulster: Rouse, McGavigan, Gillespie, Mullen, McGovern
=====================================

Bertha

regiments

Post by Bertha » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their input.
I have done quite a bit of reading on the 100th and their part in the war in Canada thanks to the information posted here.
I have now received my 3 x gr grandfather's Pension Papers from the National Arhives and although it doesn't give any information on his parents/family, it gives a short discription which actually fits my own 24 yr old son (if only I could get a picture of Charles!). I'm convinced this is our Charles as scribbled on a corner of the document in Edinburgh (where he made his home). He being discharged as unfit for duty as he had been wounded in the arm at the Battle of Chippewa, so this confirms he was in Canada.
I am now away to e-mail his gr gr grandaughter who married a Canadian in WW2 that her she has had long connections with Canada though didn't know it!
Unfortunately, this was a battle the Brits lost!
Regards
Bertha
looking for