Wellington's Wanderers. How far did they travel?.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

reporter

Wellington's Wanderers. How far did they travel?.....

Post by reporter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:44 pm

I have an old professional soldier whose capacity for travel in the very early 1800s intrigues me. Why would a Scottish Royal Artilleryman marry an English girl and have at least one child in Bermuda?
Here's the background as I have it so far:
CHRISTOPHER ADAMSON listed in 1841 Census as for Parish of Scoonie as 55-year-old retired artilleryman living at Kettle Hill with his English wife Catherine, also 55 and three children, daughters, Mary and Catherine, both aged 15 and William, 9, cousin of above.. He was born in Kennoway on March 21, 1784, son of ROBERT ADAMSON and MARY SMALBRIDGE (SMALLDRIDGE)
Served in the Royal Artillery and retired aged 42, according to Kew Army list. Name also spelled Addamson
In the 1851 Census Mary, the daughter is still living with parents. She is described as a weaver, born in Bermuda, West Indies.
Address in 1851 Allan Place, Scoonie.
Any help greatly aprreciated.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:02 am

Whats wrong with marrying an English girl :!: :wink:

Cant tell you, but when i first saw this i thought you were talking about my Rankin,s until i saw the dates. Mine (Scottish) enlisted in 1828 and married a girl in Malta and their second child was born at sea on the way to Bermuda.
He served abroad for 11 years Gibralta, Malta and Bermuda which sort of explains the marriage and birth. I can only assume that families did travel to see their men :?: given locations on the discharge papers i have dated 1849.

If you send off for the army info from Kew it should tell you his locations at what years and maybe answer your question :wink: .

Tracey
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:24 am

Hi Reporter
55-year-old retired artilleryman living at Kettle Hill with his English wife Catherine, also 55 and three children, daughters, Mary and Catherine, both aged 15 and William, 9
I'm sure you know this already, but just in case :wink: remember that in the 1841 ages were rounded down to the nearest 5, so for age 55, read aged 55-60 and for age 15 read aged 15-20. So it is likely that Mary and Catherine were not twins (although, of course, they may have been !) The census link at the top of the page explains all & apologies if you knew all this already etc etc.... :D

Best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:28 am

Reporter

It has always been my belief that families often accompanied sodjers in their overseas posting (in non-conflict operations) that were going to be for a while. but of course someone with more expertise in this area may have information to the contrary.
I have a long lost in my family who was born in the "Americas" yes that Barton lot again :lol: :wink:

In the 1850s there is evidence of families joining their husbands on deployment (See HMS Birkenhead - Traditon of Women and Children first)
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

reporter

wellington's wanderers

Post by reporter » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:30 am

Woah, Tracey. My partner's very much a West Country girl, though her father's a Scot. Been over the Border for more than 35 years and have almost been tamed. And to top it all my middle name is Rankin. Since posting a few hours ago, I've uncovered following fascinating material:

1808. Detachment, Royal Artillery. To replace the Invalids who had left in late 1807, the British Government sent 10 gunners from the Royal Artillery. They arrived from Halifax on HMS Leopard in 1808 (and were present at the famous incident with the USS Chesapeake, later). From then on, to about the 1890s, the Royal Artillery was based continuously in Bermuda.
1811-1813. Detachment, 6th Battalion, Royal Artillery. In 1811, another detachment, from G. Crawford's Company, arrived. (During 1813, they took part in small raids on the American coast on board HMS San Domingo, Captain Pechell

SAN DOMINGO,74. (1809 Woolwich. Sold 1816) 1811 Capt. Charles GILL, Downs. Flagship of Vice Ad. Sir R.J. STRACHAN.
1812 Capt. John PECHELL, 12/12, North America, the flagship of his maternal uncle, Sir John WARREN. His first lieutenant, James P0LKINGHORNE, (PUCKINGHORNE in the Naval Chronicle) followed him from CLO0PATRA.
0n 3 April 1813 Lieut. POLKINGHORNE led the boats of SAN DOMINGO, MARLB0ROUGH, MAIDSTONE, STATIRA, FANTOME and MOHAWK attacked four armed schooners drawn up in line ahead in the mouth of the Rappahannock River. The ARAB,7, was driven ashore and boarded by the boats of MARLBOROUGH; LYNX,6, and RACER,6, were taken by San D0MING0's pinnace and the DOLPHIN,12, was boarded from STATIRA's cutter and the MAIDSTONE's launch after RACER's guns were turned on her.
SAN D0MING0 lost marine Robert TWIGG, killed. Lieut. POLKINGHORNE was slightly wounded and Lieut. Flint, R.M. was severely wounded. Lieut. BRAND had to have his arm amputated. Two marines and three seamen were also wounded. In all two were killed and eleven wounded. RACER and LYNX were taken were taken into the British service as 14-gun schooners under the names SHELBURNE and MUSQUEDOBIT.
0n 24 June Sir John WARREN directed an attack on Crany Island in the approaches to Norfolk, Virginia, and on the 28th Capt. PECHELL commanded the boats and tenders covering the landing of Sir Sydney Beckwith's troops which destroyed the American camp at Hampton.
The SAN DOMINGO returned to England in June 1814.
God knows what Tony Blair would have made of these Anglo-American skirmishes. More like Maggie in her heyday!

reporter

wellington's wanderers

Post by reporter » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:35 am

Many thanks Ms Bathgate. (That's my home town). As a complete novice to the name game, your info about age variations is invaluable.

DavidWW

Re: Wellington's Wanderers. How far did they travel?

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:15 pm

reporter wrote:I have an old professional soldier whose capacity for travel in the very early 1800s intrigues me. Why would a Scottish Royal Artilleryman marry an English girl and have at least one child in Bermuda?
Here's the background as I have it so far:
CHRISTOPHER ADAMSON listed in 1841 Census as for Parish of Scoonie as 55-year-old retired artilleryman living at Kettle Hill with his English wife Catherine, also 55 and three children, daughters, Mary and Catherine, both aged 15 and William, 9, cousin of above.. He was born in Kennoway on March 21, 1784, son of ROBERT ADAMSON and MARY SMALBRIDGE (SMALLDRIDGE)
Served in the Royal Artillery and retired aged 42, according to Kew Army list. Name also spelled Addamson
In the 1851 Census Mary, the daughter is still living with parents. She is described as a weaver, born in Bermuda, West Indies.
Address in 1851 Allan Place, Scoonie.
Any help greatly aprreciated.
Hi Reporter

Nothing in your post surpises me in the least!!

On his various travels in connection with service in the RA he met and married an English lassie. So simple !! :wink:

She then followed him from posting to posting, hence kids' births births in "exotic" locations.

His service in the RA didn't give him any choice in terms of location, - he went where his battery was posted, - so simple.

The details will be available from the full records that will almost certainly be available at TNA at Kew, - the on line references to his RA service will only be a very small proportion of the records relating to his service that will probably be available in the Kew records.

The only way to access all the available material is to visit Kew yourself, or engage the services of a researcher expert in the Kew military records, - I'd be happy to recommend such a researcher.

David