Private, First Royal Dragoons, Piershill Barracks 1875.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

psdavis

Private, First Royal Dragoons, Piershill Barracks 1875.....

Post by psdavis » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:56 am

Hello all, this is my first post to the site, so treat me kindly! I'll drink a wee dram to your good health for 2006.
My quest is for any more information, ideas or suggestions relating to an ancestral relative, Abraham Webster Snusher, who was described on his marriage to Elizabeth Paterson on 10 June 1875 as a Abraham Snusher, Private, 1st Royal Dragoons. His age was given as 32 and usual residence was Piershill Barracks. The marriage place was 3 St John Street, Edinburgh, after banns according to the form of the Church of Scotland. This is my ONLY Scottish connection in the family tree! I'm pleased to have one!
He was born in London and was deceased before 1890 [I think in 1880 in Dartford, Kent]. In 1890 he was described on his widow's Scottish death certificate as Ebenezer Snusher, Private, Dragoon Regiment. Elizabeth Snusher [nee Paterson] died in High Row, Patna, Ayr 25 July 1890. His marriage & the death of his widow are the only Snusher references at ScotlandsPeople http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
Can anyone tell me about the First Royal Dragoons? Records, postings, military pensions, campaigns 1870-1880. When, where & how might he have signed up?
Last edited by psdavis on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Peter Snusher Davis in Canberra, Australia.
Researching Snusher worldwide.
Scottish connection: Abraham Snusher m Elizabeth Paterson 10 June 1875 in Edinburgh.
Elizabeth Snusher d 25 July 1890 in Patna, Ayr.
No known children from the marriage.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:50 am

Welcome to TalkingScot

The First Royal Dragoons are most probably The Royal Dragoons
(1st Dragoons), - raised in 1661, - see http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/cav/D01rd.htm It doesn't look like he would have served outside the British Isles.

He was probably recruited by a recruiting party that was sent around the country and happened to attract his attention when in the area.

There is a good chance of there being records of his cavalry service at National Archives in Kew, but you'll need to visit there, or employ the services of an expert military records researcher in order to locate any records.

David

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:31 pm

hi there,
I can't help with your original query, however I found another Abraham Snusher , aged 65, on the 1841 census for Camden St. Surrey. You may already have these details, but if not I can forward them. Also some Snusher entries from Boyds marriage index. Including another Abraham but earlier still.

susieq

Post by susieq » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Hiya,
If you go to www.edinphoto.org.uk home page they have a before and after shot of Piershill Barracks (it is now know as Piershill square) click on Edinburgh and then scroll down.
Susan.
innes/morayshire
george/morayshire
dunnet/dunnet
wright/nenthorn
good/lasswade

psdavis

Post by psdavis » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 am

To all three respondents, many thanks for your prompt & informative postings. To DavidWW I must say that the reference & link to the First Royal Dragoons is obviously spot on. I will post again if I can add to the topic. To IanS I will send a pm to follow up on Abraham Snusher in the 1841 Census of England & Wales. To susieq I had already found the Edinburgh Photo site, and it is useful to have the link on this topic. My next step will be to get the death certificate for Abraham Snusher to check out his credentials.
Peter Snusher Davis in Canberra, Australia.
Researching Snusher worldwide.
Scottish connection: Abraham Snusher m Elizabeth Paterson 10 June 1875 in Edinburgh.
Elizabeth Snusher d 25 July 1890 in Patna, Ayr.
No known children from the marriage.

cavalry jock

Re: Private, First Royal Dragoons, Piershill Barracks 1875..

Post by cavalry jock » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 pm

seen your request for information as regards your ancestors time in the army . My great grandfather Alexander Baptie he was local to Edinburgh born (Musselburgh)served in the same regiment 1st Dragoons ( some times written as Royal Dragoons on family research papers. he joined in 1873 Piershill barracks then to somewhere in England? and then to Ireland ,The Curragh barracks ,then Dublin barracks where he was married in the garrison church and had his first child there the regiment then moved to Navan barracks County Meath this is where my grandmother was born he was discharged Belfast 1885 returning to Edinburgh soon after it seems from the records for the 1st Dragoons they never went overseas during this period hope this helps in your family tree research . Best wishes from Scotland. JW

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 am

Hello Cavalry Jock, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

Here’s a very detailed history to 1886 of the 1st Dragoons. It mentions all the English locations. http://archive.org/stream/historicalrec ... 4/mode/2up

FMP has some records. http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/army ... ecords/all

All the best,
Alan

cavalry jock

Post by cavalry jock » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:14 am

Hello Currie,thank you for information on the movement thoughout UK and Ireland it seem their stay in Ireland was a bit fraught with assassinations and murders of troopers. Was quite hard to keep up with regimental movements must have been quite unsettling for army families, once again thanks for informaton JW