HalfPay Army?.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Dennis

HalfPay Army?.....

Post by Dennis » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi:)

I had posted this in the Statutory Records as I could not make out the occupation, rank & residence for Duncan Darroch, who appears to have been serving in the army in Ireland.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-584

dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi Dennis

It looks as though Captain Duncan darroch was surplus to current army requirements as he was on half pay .
Although the address starts 4 lines down it is most likely Gourock House since he appears to be living there with his wife and family along with a full staff of male & female servants.
I would guess that Margaret Parker was his mother-in law. she is of independent means.
The Captain was born in Ireland but the rest of his family were from that county. his staff were local too except Mary Donkin who was from England.
Could I hazard a guess that this was in Renfrewshire since Cart Lodge would fit there and it would be a country house with farms round about (High and Low Aucheneach).
Hope this helps

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny