Why Broughty Ferry?

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Littlepud58

Why Broughty Ferry?

Post by Littlepud58 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone help me?

My grandfather who was english, was with the Royal Garrison Artillery in about 1908 - 1913.

He married my Grandmother, who was Scottish and from Edinburgh, in 1909.

They had four sons, in three years, (obviously no TV!), who were all born and baptised in Broughty Ferry.

Can anyone tell me, if the Royal Garrison were stationed in either Edinburgh or Broughty Ferry around these dates, which would explain why my Granfather was in Scotland at this time?

Thanks in anticipation.

Pam

Morag

Post by Morag » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi Pam

There is an army training centre at Barry Buddon which is listed as being in Carnoustie , but it is also very close to Broughty Ferry. I believe it has been there for over a century - so they may have been stationed there.
Hope this helps

Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others

Littlepud58

Thank You!

Post by Littlepud58 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi Morag,

Many thanks for your reply and information. It has been really helpful.

It was whilst tracing my family history, that I 'met' my fourth Cousin, who although Scottish lives only about 10 miles away.

It was thanks to her that I know of this website, as she uses it too!

I am very proud of my Scottish Heritage, especially as my beloved Father was Scottish too!

If you know of any other information, please get in touch.

Thanks
Pam

DavidWW

Re: Thank You!

Post by DavidWW » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:12 pm

Littlepud58 wrote:Hi Morag,

Many thanks for your reply and information. It has been really helpful.

It was whilst tracing my family history, that I 'met' my fourth Cousin, who although Scottish lives only about 10 miles away.

It was thanks to her that I know of this website, as she uses it too!

I am very proud of my Scottish Heritage, especially as my beloved Father was Scottish too!

If you know of any other information, please get in touch.

Thanks
Pam
Hi Pam

Have a look at http://www.regiments.org/ to see what info this site can offer.

Up to date, they have added tremendously detailed info on the service details of the regiments of foot, i.e. places and dates, but I'm not sure just where they've got to in similar terms as regards the RGA, - but worth a look at least.

Even if there's nothing of direct help on the http://www.regiments.org/ site there could well be leads to other sources of possible assistance to you.

Orraverybest

David

(PS And, if it's of interest, I can pass on to you details of the expert military researcher in the Kew records that I use!)

PPS On reflection, on re-reading the thread, if there wasn't an RGA location in or near Broughty Ferry, there could well have been a Militia/Reserve regiment/battery to which he had been posted. Just exactly how is the father decribed on the various Broughty Ferry birth register entries?
dww

Littlepud58

A Military Quest

Post by Littlepud58 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi David,

My sincere thanks for all of your help me my quest.

My Paternal Grandfather was listed on at least my Father's birth certificate as:
Gunner Albert Edward Davey - R.G.A. as of 1913, although the address that my father was born was listed as 341 Brook Street, Broughty Ferry.

The same Grandfather was later awarded the Military Medal, although I can't find out why. He did become a Bombadier.

His wife: Mary Corstorphine Davey (m.s. Hill) also had a brother who died I believe in WW1, and his name is listed in Edinburgh Castle War Memorial Book.

Their son, my beloved Father, Albert George Davey also was with HM Forces, pre war and during WW2. He was with R.A.S.C. which then became the R.A.O.C.

Two of his three brothers were also in the military. George S. Davey was also in the same regiment as my father. John William Moffat Davey was with the Navy.

To carry on the family tradition, I too, enlisted and was a nurse with Q.A.R.A.N.C. from 1976 - 1981.

If you can give me any information that will help me to find out all of their military details.

Once again David, many thanks for your help and reply.

Regards

Pam

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:55 pm

hi Pam
I'm in Broughty Ferry sometimes - would a photo of 341 Brook Street be of interest? Brook Street is the main shopping street there.

Best wishes
Lesley

DavidWW

Re: A Military Quest

Post by DavidWW » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:24 pm

Littlepud58 wrote:Hi David,

My sincere thanks for all of your help me my quest.

My Paternal Grandfather was listed on at least my Father's birth certificate as:
Gunner Albert Edward Davey - R.G.A. as of 1913, although the address that my father was born was listed as 341 Brook Street, Broughty Ferry.

The same Grandfather was later awarded the Military Medal, although I can't find out why. He did become a Bombadier.

His wife: Mary Corstorphine Davey (m.s. Hill) also had a brother who died I believe in WW1, and his name is listed in Edinburgh Castle War Memorial Book.

Their son, my beloved Father, Albert George Davey also was with HM Forces, pre war and during WW2. He was with R.A.S.C. which then became the R.A.O.C.

Two of his three brothers were also in the military. George S. Davey was also in the same regiment as my father. John William Moffat Davey was with the Navy.

To carry on the family tradition, I too, enlisted and was a nurse with Q.A.R.A.N.C. from 1976 - 1981.

If you can give me any information that will help me to find out all of their military details.

Once again David, many thanks for your help and reply.

Regards

Pam
Hi Pam

See my P(rivate) M(essage) .........

In addition, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Site at http://www.cwgc.org/ could be of assistance.....

David

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Hiya Cousin!!!

Glad you've joined us!

Jean

Littlepud58

To a Dear Relative!

Post by Littlepud58 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi Jeanie,

Well if it wasn't for you, not only wouldn't I have found Talking Scot , but I wouldn't have known about so many of our relatives.

I'm so pleased to have you as my Cousin.

Love Pam

flipside

Post by flipside » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:36 am

Barry Buddon Training area has been there for ages

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... ningCentre

i have been on the camp it is freezing all year round, polar bears and penguins walking across the parade square.

Flip