I found him ...in FIFE!!!

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

tishgibbons

I found him ...in FIFE!!!

Post by tishgibbons » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Crack open the champagne Folks - I found Charles Mitchell!!! After 10 years searching!

He was born in Strathdon, Aberdeenshire in 1850 - Last sighted in Crathie in a bothy in 1881. No marriage, death, emigration nor census records since. But tonight, thanks to Ancestry freebie, while I was looking for his nephew Charles Mitchell born Strathdon 1868, (another disappearee!) I found him in Fife in 1901 - I don't even know where it is! He claimed to be 42 - he was 50 if he was a day - but his wife was 30 so I suppose a little white lie was called for. And they had a son Charles so the line continues! :D :o :shock:

I suppose I should take care - but the parents names are right Peter Mitchell Shepherd deceased and Margaret Grassick still alive. No coincidence I hope!

anyone know anything about Culross, Fife?

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi Tish,

Sorry, I don't know anything about Culross. Just wanted to congratulate you on finding your Charles Mitchell after all those years. You must be over the moon :D Ancestry does come handy :)

Regards,
Anne H

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi Tish

Well done. I bet you are over the moon.

Best wishes
Jean

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:06 am

Hi Tish,

Well done.

Beware of Culross - it was only in Fife (the westmost part of Fife) from May 1891 (or 1892 in GROS and SP's indexes). Prior to that it was a detached portion of Perthshire.

See also http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/22/WhatToSee/

All the best,

AndrewP

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:35 am

Hi Tish

If you only want something about the town as it is today look at

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/c ... index.html
http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/o ... ulross.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culross

Lots of history but nothing really about your family to be found.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Jake Drummond

Post by Jake Drummond » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Aye Tish, 25 minutes from Culross, and it's pronounced Cooris hereabouts.
Congratulations are in order, after all you searching!
If you need any help with photographs of any houses in the village let me have as much detail as you can and I'll do something over the next week or so. There are a few amatuer historians in the toon, so you never know what might turn up!

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Thank you Jake - what with stuffing presents and wrapping turkeys (!) :? I can't put my hands on addresses etc - but I will soon and get back to you. Thank you for such a kind offer.

have a lovely Christmas and happy huntin' in 2008 - another year's supply on Scotland's People - the best present I'll get this Christmas!

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

csa

Post by csa » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Tish

Congratulations, Happy Christmas and happy hunting for 2008.

I have just been asked to help my daughter's friend search for relatives in Derry. Now I realise how lucky we are searching for Scottish ancestors even if we struggle sometimes! Of course we also have our friends on Talking Scot to help us too.

Very best wishes

Carolyn
Stewart-Renfrewshire, Highlands, Leith
Johnstone - Strathmiglo, Leith
Harman - Reading, London
Christianson - Edinburgh
Jamieson - Shetland, New Zealand

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:29 am

Andrew

thanks for that tip - was a bit confused. I can't find his death certificate - but by the time his wife died in Dunbarton in 1949 he was already dead - so maybe your tip will help. Maybe I also need to widen the search to incude all counties but with a name like Mitchell it might be too much - if he told the truth about his age it might be easier!

Jake,

Thanks again for your offer and you'll never believe I couldn't remember off hand where he lived - Blair Castle!! The 1901 census records Charles, his wife Alexina and son Charles all at Blair Stable Yard while their son's birth certificate shows him being bord at 23 Bridge End St., Rothesay while the father Charles "domicil - Blair Castle Culross". Does that make sense?

Carolyn

You have my sympathies looking for family on this island - I can't find my own - the Scots are sooooh! much better at this!

Tish

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:41 am

Hello Tish
Congratulations on finally finding your lang deid yin, I know that feeling :D
I was on a wild goose chase myself when I started this game and thanks to a common name like Stewart I was climbing up the wrong tree until some kind souls on the old SP forum put me up the right one. Oh they are now on TS :D :wink:
I too have a couple of lang deid yins who don't appear to have died :shock: Do you think I can find them :!: There probably mis-indexed or remarried. So good luck finding yours.
As for my Irish links Yikes :!: I dont think I will have much luck there.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson