Tree done all way back to ireland 1800-ish

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Northern Monkey

Tree done all way back to ireland 1800-ish

Post by Northern Monkey » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi ive been doing my family tree, but for the life of me i couldnot get passed my great grandfather. his name was francis mullen of kilmarnock, i searched every site on the web nothing...i went on another chat site.. and a lady from newzealand started helping me, it turned out reason i couldnot find him was, his mother being illiterate had spealt his name McMillan for some reason or other, any way once i found him plain sailng al the way back to ireland.... :lol:

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Hi Northern Monkey...a warm welcome to TalkingScot [scotland-flag]
his mother being illiterate had spealt his name McMillan
A good reminder for everyone to remember to use alternate spellings when they get stuck :wink:

Congratulations on your success in getting back to around 1800 with your Irish ancestors...wonderful news :)

Regards,
Anne H

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Yes welcome Northern & I am so jealous that you have managed to trace your line so far back in Ireland-not an easy task.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

alex19canteen

Post by alex19canteen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:35 am

his mother being illiterate had spealt his name McMillan for some reason or other
The other being that people from Ayrshire pronounce McMillan as McMullan. A while ago we used to have a guy phone the family business whose name was Mick Mullen, so it would go "Da' Mick Mullens on the the phone!" (Dad) "Aye? wits es first name?" :roll: :lol: