Another sad "success" story for me

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi all,
I would think poor Alan and others on that side of the world are having a well-earned rest, it being well past midnight over there (except for the Perth side of the country... but I seem to remember he was near the other coast), according to my computer clock. :wink: We may have to wait on this one!
All the best,
Sarah

csa

Post by csa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi
Joette, was the book "The Secret River" by Kate Grenville?. In the story the main character is sentenced to death for stealing some wood. The sentence is then reduced to transportation and he is allowed to take his wife and child with him.
When I did some research into Dartmoor prison, it seemed that if those awaiting transportation behaved well they could sometimes take their family to the colonies with them. Folk were sent to Dartmoor (as my g g grandfather was) prior to transportation to get them fit. I think the very harsh and cruel regime had the opposite effect on my relative as he died of TB abnd scurvy two years after imprisonment. In the year of his death 24 prisoners died in Dartmoor.
Grim times

Carolyn
Stewart-Renfrewshire, Highlands, Leith
Johnstone - Strathmiglo, Leith
Harman - Reading, London
Christianson - Edinburgh
Jamieson - Shetland, New Zealand

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Yes Carolyn that's the one I really enjoyed it as the characters were real rather than caricatures to carry a tale.
Life was hard even harder that the rigours & privations of dockside London life.

I guess if you survived Victorian prison life,the horrendous journey & then the harsh lifestyle it really was survival of the fittest.
No wonder Aussies are proud of their convict heritage.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

wini

Another sad "Success" story for me

Post by wini » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:36 am

You should read Marcus Clarke's "For the term of his natural life".

I don't think transportation was much of a doddle. Maybe Dartmoor would have been preferable.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:16 am

Hello All,

The rains pouring down, the yard’s flooded, the plumbing’s starting to play up, but nevertheless, I’ll have a bit of a rant about convict heritage. (With apologies to Joette and anyone with convict ancestors).

Before the relatively recent popularity of genealogy the vast majority of people with convict ancestry would not have had the slightest clue. There may have been awareness among the children of convicts of what their parents had been, but, because of a tendency to hide such things, I doubt if many of the grandchildren would have known. The concept of being proud of a convict ancestry is, I think, a modern day defensive act by those who want to give the story a nice rosy glow. It’s very convenient, from a genealogical point of view to have convicts in the family because of the records readily available but I can’t see why any particular pride or suchlike should be bestowed upon them. Because the convicts came to Australia at the point of a gun they aren’t pioneers in the sense of those bravely setting out to establish a new nation although they would have become so once they had lost the desire to leave. The immigrants who came of there own free will are probably closer to being the real pioneers and they had outnumbered the convict transportees even before the massive population boost of the 1850s following the discovery of gold.

The reality probably was that most convicts either started out as the dregs of society or ended up that way after their conviction. Some managed to lift themselves out of the mire and make a great success of their life. This was much easier for those with money, influence, education or skills. Some were able to put it all behind them and lead normal simple lives while some would never had recovered from their experiences. Many of our current prison populations are probably from similar socio-economic groups and convicted of crimes not too dissimilar in nature or seriousness to those who were transported. However, most people who find a convict ancestor seem to immediately see an unfortunate exploited individual who stole a loaf of bread and was transported for life and survived to be someone’s beloved great-great-great-grandmother.

When Australia was first settled by Europeans in 1788, it was to be a prison for the felons who were overcrowding the prisons and prison hulks of England. It was this reason for the establishment of what was to become a Nation that made Australians and others so conscious of the convict heritage. I don’t know what proportion of the current Australian population has convict ancestors or long dead relatives but I would be surprised if it is more than 10%. One reason for the overcrowding previously mentioned, was the loss of a major venue in 1776.

My only convict relative was a great-great-great-uncle who was picked up by the police in 1824 after an arson attack in the course of an industrial dispute. He was held illegally, without a warrant, by the police for a day until he broke down and confessed. Because of this and other irregularities the case was reviewed by a panel of judges which held the evidence was admissible. The confession was unsigned and at the trial he pleaded not guilty. After seven months in prison he was sentenced to death and later commuted to transportation for life. The trial Judge was of the view that had the prisoner not confessed there would have been no case against him.

He spent two years in a prison hulk before leaving for Australia in 1826. In 1836 he received a ticket of leave, in 1841 a pardon on condition that he didn’t leave the district. In 1842 he built an Inn and in 1845 he died at the grand old age of, according to the newspaper, 35 years. Twenty one years earlier he had been a 4 feet eight inch 14 year old with freckles crying for his mother in a police cell. I believe the police collected the 400 Guineas reward. Whether he was just some mad arsonist, or a victim, or someone ultimately to be proud of I’ve really no idea.

Because someone locked in a prison would have been a great liability for a new settlement at first hardly capable of feeding itself convicts were expected to work. The work they did was relative to their skills. After a time and if they behaved there were rewards by way of different levels of freedom and if they misbehaved there were all sorts of punishments including chain gangs and re-transportation to penal settlements, sometimes less than 100 miles away, where conditions were quite brutal. The system was quite complex and varied over time. There’s a description here http://cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/convicts/

As to Mr. Jacob Christianson, I think he would probably have had a long, happy and successful life had he been transported to Australia. Scurvy was caused by a vitamin C deficiency, it was a common ailment among sailors in the 18th century and its cure was simply a few day intake of citrus juice. If prisoners in Dartmoor were suffering from Scurvy then they didn’t have much interest in the health of their clients.

Alan

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:32 am

No convict ancestors Currie but a couple of pioneering families.

The first arrived around 1867.To NSW.Thank goodness they gave him an unusual name to add the common one of McFarlanes-Ramsay Wardlaw.He his wife,parents & possibily sibs left Glencorse Midlothian for a new life.
We have a picture of Janet McFarlane nee Veitch his Mother in NSW c 1870.Ramsay's parents outlived him so they must have been tough indeed.
Janet also had an Aunt who came out to Aussie at the same time but I am not sure if they knew or were even aware of each other-I was able to put their descendants in Australia in touch with each other as the Vital Records had some misinformation on it they hadn't realised the connection.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

csa

Post by csa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks Alan
...and we mustn't forget the many children who were sent to "the colonies" over the years without their parents-some wartime evacuees and some so-called "orphans".
Carolyn
Stewart-Renfrewshire, Highlands, Leith
Johnstone - Strathmiglo, Leith
Harman - Reading, London
Christianson - Edinburgh
Jamieson - Shetland, New Zealand