Janet HOPE/HOPES/HOUPS

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenmcc

Janet HOPE/HOPES/HOUPS

Post by karenmcc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to share this one with you as it might help someone else.

Have been doing this for a couple of years now and had never been able to find Janets birth. As it was in the early 1800's I had just come to accept that for whatever reason, it was not recorded or the record had not survived.

I've just made a contact on this side so it got me looking around again.

I have her DC which only gives her fathers name. I had a good idea her mothers name could possibly be Mary McMILLAN as this is her first daughters name. I had found a marriage for Thomas HOPES and mary McMILLAN.(note: HOPE and HOPES do not come up in the same search on IGI)

I decided to do the old first name and mothers name only on IGI. Have known about this trick for a while but had not tried it as I just assumed that HOPE and HOPES were the only possible variants.

There she was.... Janet HOUPS! (two actually, the first must have died)

So, never just assume the IGI will pick up all variants, even though I knew HOPES and HOPE had to be entered seperately, I would never have thought up the varient HOUPS.

Karen
Lochiel, McKinlay, McGibbon/McCubbin, Cunningham, McDougall, Burnside - Lanarkshire->Ayrshire.
Hay, Hannah, - Kirkcudbright.
McIntosh, McQuaters/McWatters, White, - Kilmarnock
Murdoch, Hope, McMillan - Muirkirk

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi Karen,

Congratulations on finding your Janet...I'll bet you're over the moon with delight! :) Thanks also for the reminder to always keep trying different variations of names...a lot of people will be glad of the reminder! :)

Regards,
Anne H