smith and main families from Roxburgh

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

donna petrie

smith and main families from Roxburgh

Post by donna petrie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:56 am

Hello everyone: I have posted before but have more information. I am hoping to find a death cert for John Smith. He was alive on the 1861 census but with so common a name...
Anyway I found a OPR death notice for his wife jane Main(1853). the unusual thing about this family is that all their sons were born in England and the daughters in Edinburgh.
John was born 1827 and Jane 1821. John was a tailor. Sons Robert S, John and William all born England and Christina and Janet in Edinburgh. I thought Robert S. Smith would be easier to trace because he was always written with that S. initial. But I can find no trace of them other than Christina ( mine). The 1861 census put them at 352 Castlehill, Edinburgh. Christina married in Glasgow( James Dow). If anyone could help narrow down Robert so I can get a birth place or John senior so I can get his parents.

Phew... that was long winded but thanks to anyone who can lnd a hand. Donna
Fisher Slimman Murray Dow Dickson Liverance Scoular, Duncan Mclaughlin Hunter Buchanan, Petrie, Millar Wallace Foote Henderson LIndsay
Smith, Mains, Huldberg Wilkes Morris Islay Ponter Murray Miller Whitten Irvine

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:02 am

Hi Donna,
Is there any reason to disbelieve John when he says in both 1851 and 1861 that he was born in Kelso, Roxburgh?
There is only one OPR birth for that name in 1826-1828 in Kelso:

John Smith
Christening: 18 Jun 1826 Kelso, Roxburgh
Father: William Smith
Mother: Margaret Rae

His first son being named William supports this theory.

I agree it would be nice to have his death cert to confirm this!

All the best,
Sarah

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am

but with so common a name...
I have two John Smiths, both living within a mile of each other, on either side of my family. Both with daughters called Elizabeth who are both my great grandmothers :?

Getting there with it though, so keep at it. :wink:

Ann