I found the Tabernacle in Alloa

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

grannysrock

I found the Tabernacle in Alloa

Post by grannysrock » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:29 pm

I was going to post about the Tabernacle in Alloa quite recently, not having been able to find out anything about it , but got side-tracked. It was at this Tabernacle that some (and possibly all ?) of my ancestor Robert Hunter and Janet Tulloch's children were baptised . Well today I was trying to find another ancestral address Cutler's/Cullers/Cutter's ??? Close ( still not found it ) on one of the newish maps at http://www.nls.uk and I found the Tabernacle instead ! Happy happy Bunny [bagpipe] . By cross referencing to another map [sherlock] , I know it was also known as the Independent's Meeting House. It looks like this might be the Congregationalist Church - I kind of know about The Disruption and that , but my knowledge of Independents and Congregationalists is well - non-existant. The Family Search Wiki suggests the United Reform Church as a possible contact point - but I don't know if this is reliable or not .
Anyone have any leads ???

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: I found the Tabernacle in Alloa

Post by AndrewP » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 am

grannysrock wrote:It looks like this might be the Congregationalist Church - I kind of know about The Disruption and that , but my knowledge of Independents and Congregationalists is well - non-existant. The Family Search Wiki suggests the United Reform Church as a possible contact point - but I don't know if this is reliable or not .
Anyone have any leads ???
Hi Sally,

It certainly looks like the United Reform Church includes the Congregational Churches nowadays. See the following web page.

http://www.urc.org.uk/about/about_us

All the best,

AndrewP

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Cheers Andrew
Now to ask if they have any old records ... I'll let you know !

Sally

ROY M

Post by ROY M » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Sally
In the 1841 census there is a Cutlers Close in Alloa.
Piece-SCT1841/465
Place-Alloa, Clackmannanshire
Enumeration District-1
Civil Parish-Alloa
Ecclesiastical Parish-East Parish
Folio-5
Page-12
Address-Cutlers Close

There are 5 households and a total of 27 people.
In the enumerators description it seems to be in the Old Bridge/New bridge, Tron/Tron Street areas.

If you want to check the description at SP search for 1841 census-George Martin-age 35-wife Helen Martin age 30- Clackmannanshire-Alloa
This was not one of my Martins.

Ps I've just noticed there is a George Hunter-age 25-Shoemaker Journeyman living with the Jameson family in Cutlers Close
Aw the best and happy huntin'
Roy.

Researching-Martin,Hodge,Brown,Sime,Awburn,Mann,Lamb all E & NE Scotland
Cameron,Montgomery,McVey,Finlay all W Scotland & Ireland

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks Roy - the 1841 census is the only reference I can find to that Close - and yes that George Hunter is mine ( I think ) . He married a daughter of Robert and Janet . Had hoped to find the same close in later years to see who was living there ... wondered if it changed name .. hence map search and discovery of location of the elusive Tabernacle ...

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:21 pm

After doing a Google search it is likely your family were members of the Reformed Baptist Church. There is an article on Wikpedia explaining the set up of the Church. Basically it is a mix of the Reformed (Calvinist) and Baptist churches. From my Google search there would appear that there is still a congregation in Alloa.

Eric
Eric