Re Gauld-Wilson of Greenock posted on this site

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

chrisc

Re Gauld-Wilson of Greenock posted on this site

Post by chrisc » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 am

tishgibbons wrote:Hi Folks,

I had just about given up on Genes Reunited when I got a message yesterday that is an actual connection to my family - thanks to Peter if you are also a frequenter of TS!!!. Anyway, he tells me that one of my 'long losts', Archibald Gauld from Glenbuchat, Aberdeenshire, married Esther Wilson (b. 1895) Greenock. They married and lived in Greenock and had at least one child, Agnes C. Gauld. I'm currently at odds with my credit card - or it is with me!) so I haven't gone to SP with this yet. Thought I'd see if this sounds familiar to anyone here first? ( I know, I'm a cheapskate!)

Tish
Thought you might be interested in a success story involving this site. I'm the granddaughter and daughter of the people mentioned in the above post. I have only started my family research fairly recently. A few weeks ago, on a whim, I googled my grandfather's name and, surprisingly, came up with several references from somebody searching for him here and on other sites.
The original post on here was from 2005 but I have been able to contact the poster, Tish, and we have exchanged information. There was also a reply on the thread from another member of Talkingscots seeking information on the same family but she has not visited this site since 2006. If anybody can contact "cyngauld" and put her in touch with me that would be great.
I had just posted a reply to the original thread on the Scottish People forum then realized there was a Success Stories forum.
You never know how many years later you will get an answer to your post.

Christine
Lindsay's & McLean's of Greenock, Wilson's of Ireland & Ayr, McKinlay's of Ireland & Renfrewshire, Gaulds of Glenbucket

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Re Gauld-Wilson of Greenock posted on this site

Post by paddyscar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 am

Hi Christine:

Glad to hear of your success! You never know when someone will pop-up with a connection, so it's always good to back-track every once-in-a-while.

You may contact cyngauld by Private Message (PM) by clicking on the box at the bottom left of the screen. Cyngauld will then be notified at the registered e-mail that there is a message waiting in his/her TalkingScot mailbox.

Frances

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 am

Greetings Christine from New Zealand.

As a relative newbie to this site I have had tremendous help from the Admin team including Frances, and also the moderators. But there are few rinkles that need to be understood.

When we create a forum thread, at the bottom of the page are some boxes. One of which, [Notify me when a reply is posted] if ticked, will send a notice to the email address you registered with TaklingScot, any time there is any action on that thread. If you get quite active like me, on many forums, and forget to tick the box you don't appear to get an automatic notification to your email service.

When you log on it's a good idea to click on the new threads option, on the top of the bar, and it will show the postings since you last logged on, and your ones, whether you have ticked for notification or not.

Like wise with the Private Message service option. The IN - OUT & SENT boxes don't work quite like other emailing boxes.

When you send a private message to the user name, you find attached to the post of interest, it sits in the OUT BOX rather like a draft, until it is read by the intended recipient. then, and only then, will it appear in your Private Message SENT box. (For a start I thought I had failed to SEND the message properly, and tried to resend it.)

I have two PM messages which I wrote and "sent" in April last still sitting in my "out box" waiting for those recipients to log on and to read the messages.

This possibly has occurred because those posters, either never ticked the box asking to be sent an email by TS that there was a PM or thread activity there for them, or else they have not notified TS and kept their address for service email up to date. (Changed providers).

For your sake I hope "cyngauld" has both, ticked the send me a notification box on their postings, and that their address for service, registered with TalkingScot is current.

Best of luck,
Alan SHARP.

EDIT added:
P.S. If 'cyngauld' does not contact you in the near future, please feel free to private message me through the TS PM system, and I may be able to help you with information about the poster and how to contact her. Alan.

chrisc

Post by chrisc » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Frances and Alan,
Thanks for the help, I have sent a PM to cyngauld and hopefully she will get it and reply. I have also checked my settings to make sure I get notifications too.
Christine
Lindsay's & McLean's of Greenock, Wilson's of Ireland & Ayr, McKinlay's of Ireland & Renfrewshire, Gaulds of Glenbucket