Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

Re: Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Post by Anne H » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Well done, Puffin!

A lot of hard work and dedication, with a fantastic result. Congratulations.
[cheers]
Anne H

trish58

Post by trish58 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:13 am

Wonderful news =D> =D> =D>

Trish
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:18 pm

I was surprised and delighted to read the article on page 20 of the December 2014 issue of Britain At War.

My husband often buys it and he wondered why I started to squeal in excitement. :lol:

It's none other that our very own Puffin and his campaign to recognise Ernest Russell Lyon's grave.

Check your library for a copy or perhaps you can download it in e-book form from the libraries.
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:24 pm

An article was published recently in the Scotsman too:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/t ... -1-3615333

All the best,

AndrewP

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:55 pm

A fitting tribute and such a handsome young man.

Regards,
Anne H

puffin

Post by puffin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:23 pm

Oh dear, my talkingscot Puffin cover is blown...... I will have to think about adopting a new identity for the next cause to fight.

This was also last week in The Scotsman and the Edinburgh Evening News, and in the Times Scottish edition, following an exclusive in the Sunday Telegraph written by John Shute appearing on 23rd Nov. at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... bered.html

For the Britain at War Magazine article Andy Saunders, the Editor, asked me to write a feature article, which he then knocked around a bit as editors do and then that is what you see. Of all the coverage in the last two weeks the Sunday Telegraph online version and the Britain at War Article encapsulate the story best.

When the good news was given to me by the MoD in August this year I shared this with my two brothers.......my older brother telephoned me and said this was excellent....... and after this near decade long campaign, "what was I now going to do with the rest of my life?"

Puffin

puffin

Post by puffin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:43 pm

A fitting tribute and such a handsome young man.

Regards,
Anne H

Anne writes "such a handsome young man"

I have Russell's Scout diary record for the early 1940's before his 18th bithrday after which he volunteered for the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

This, written by Russell as troop leader in Colinton, Edinburgh, which records the weekly scout troop meetings, with sketches by Russell, with photographs and cartoons drwan by him.

Under one of the photographs, in which he features he has wriiten......"my pals think I look like Clark Gable"

One page has images drawn by Russell of Hitler, Mussolini, Roosevelt and Churchill and the entry for the day says that no meeting took place because of the trouble being caused that evening over Edinburgh by that chap on the opposite page Mr. Hitler.

It is through these bits of the record that Russell's character appears -leadership and artistic skills, a sense of humour, and a knowledge of the wider world where film celebrities were well known.

Puffin

Pufffin

stewart lyon

Post by stewart lyon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 pm

please let me know when, I LIVE IN LORIENT france from john william stewart LYON son of colin arther LYON from kirkmicheal estate scotland

stewart lyon

Post by stewart lyon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 pm

john william stewart lyon email stewart.lyonATorange.fr

Edited to confound the spammers (AT =@) Russell

puffin

Post by puffin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:55 pm

This is just to inform all on this kind forum that a new CWGC gravestone is now in place at Guidel, with Russell's name now recorded for the formerly "unknown" grave 33 in Row 6 of the CWGC Section in the Cemetery.

On Monday October 5th 2015 at 10.30am there will be a service of dedication at the graveside.

Amongst other points of detail I have organised for two pipers to be present, and am at present trying to choose the most appropriate tunes to be played. The pipers are part of a representative party from Russell's school who were invited and are planning to be present.

At this stage I have replies from some 45 persons who wish to attend, and that excludes so far the local French population who may choose to attend.

If talkingscot members find themselves in southern Brittany in early October and can attend the ceremony they will be most welcome.

I would ask that they send me a private email if they are planning to do so in order that I can keep the DBS/JCCC, who are responsible for organising the service, informed on likely attendance numbers.