Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 am

Hi Puffin,

Thanks for the updates...it really has been a heartwarming chain of events. I look forward to listening to "Digging up your Roots".

Regards,
Anne H

puffin

Ernest Russell Lyon 1922-1944

Post by puffin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:15 pm

This is another wee update on progress over the last month or so.

I hope all who listened to the Digging Up Your Roots programme in January on BBC Scotland found this interesting. For me it was really good that interviews with Squadron Leader (Retd.) Alan Frost and Jan Yves Le Lan were included. This gave the story great breadth if not also an international touch.

There are more international touches for me to report.

Firstly, after some publicity in mid January the local French press in Brittany ( thanks to Jean-Yves for this) several more contemporary witnesses from the events of 1944 have made contact to record their memories.

More of the actual content of these may come later, but for the time being they add more important comment into the completion of the whole jigsaw.

Secondly, today I received from a researcher commissioned to look into some (surviving) german military archives which are stored at Freiburg. I have been fortunate to now have a copy of a local german military report of 28.7.1944 ( the day after the actual shooting down) to the High Command the translation of which reports that " 1 spitfire is shot down near Larmor-Plage (at street of Plumeur-Kernevel)".

The report also includes other reports which mention arrest of french terrorists, one of them a leader, and sabotage attacks on railway lines.

This report pinpoints the crash site ( importantly on land and not at sea) to where the excavations occurred in 2001-3 and also confirms precisely the date.

The present task is entering almost forensic detail in what I have to present to make the case, hence the long periods of silence from me whilst these are being considered and analysed.

So, there is still some way to go, but no stone is being left unturned.

Puffin

puffin

Post by puffin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:59 pm

I am posting another update, or rather, some publicity on this story.

There is to be an illustrated talk (Powerpoint etc 100+ images) by myself on 8th April at 7.30pm for 8.00pm start, here in Cambridge at Newnham Colege, Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge.

The Talk is in the 2007-2008 Programme of Talks organised by The Cambridge Friends of the National Trust for Scotland (CFNTS).

Tickets are £8.00 to include wine/soft drinks before/after the talk.

Tickets are available by pre-booking or, on the night and subject to capacity, on the door.

If anyone wishes to pre-book tickets and prepay for this please email me directly on rlyon@beeb.net

If you visit the main National Trust for Scotland Website and the relevant Friends Group the details are also provided there.

Each year a large contribution from profit made on the CFNTS annual programme of talks is donated by the CFNTS to the National Trust for Scotland, and, by the request of the CFNTS this is specifically donated to Inverewe Gardens, on the West Coast of Scotland.

During the talk on April 8th I will be able to provide up to date information on progress on the story, and, as this moves forward each week now with new information, who knows, what good news I will be able to then include?

Thanks to all on TalkingScot for their interest.

I will, perhaps, look forward to seeing some Talkingscot members and others who read this, at Newnham College at 7.30pm on the 8th April.

Puffin

puffin

Post by puffin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 am

I bring the excellent news, confirmed at the beginning of last week, that the Local Authority at Larmor Plage have now agreed to dedicate a new roundabout in the name of Ernest Russell Lyon.

The roundabout is located very near the crash site itself, on the main road between Ploemeur and Kernével.

Adjacent to the roundabout a ‘stele’ or standing stone will be placed, and upon this some of the recovered parts of the Spitfire AR343 flown by Russell will be mounted.

Also there will be talks on the subject in the local schools and to adult audiences to be given in June by Jean Yves Le Lan.

Without the part played by TalkingScot in the development of the story I doubt this would ever be happening.

This news was put into the public domain for the first time last night at the talk I gave on the subject. There was a good audience of some 80-85 present to hear the fuller story.

A provisional date for a dedication of the roundabout and ‘stele’ is set for the 64th anniversary of the shooting down – 27th July 2008.

Thanks to all, to TalkingScot, to Jean Yves Le Lan, Jean Robic and Claude Hélias, and to the mayor and deputy mayor of Larmor Plage for all they have done, or are doing, in memory of Russell.

Puffin

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:07 pm

That's wonderful news, and what an honour to the memory of Russell. I'll bet he's smiling and looking upon you with pride. Your perseverence is commendable!

Congratulations :)

Regards,
Anne H

puffin

Post by puffin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks Anne,

He will be smiling.

The story brings a smile to most people who hear the detail.

We are really thrilled by this dedication of a roundabout and the proposal to erect nearby a 'stele' with some of the AR343 Spitfire parts mounted on it.

I am posting below two links for some of today's press coverage of this excellent news:

11th April 2008

Ian Dow
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -20379045/

Charlotte Bailey and Joanna Vallely
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topst ... 3972952.jp

There is still hard work to do on the much more difficult aspect of getting official recognition of the "unknown " grave at Guidel.

Puffin

puffin

Post by puffin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Here is another update of interest to this story.

Jean Yves LeLan and Jean Robic are giving a series of talks on the subject in the area around Ploemeur. Their talks are to both schoolchildren and adult audiences.

In the user gallery (under Puffin) I have posted a newspaper artcle from this week on a talk to local schoolchildren.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1573

I will be visiting Brittany and the various sites in July, and am looking forward to that very much.

Completion of the roundabout and stele memorial are now likely to occur later in 2008. When a date for the opening ceremony is known I will post details here.

Thanks to all for their interest.

Puffin

Gallery url added by Marilyn

puffin

Post by puffin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:43 pm

I post another wee update for the forums's interest.......

A date is now set by the Mayor of Larmor Plage for an inauguration ceremony at the new roundabout at Larmor Plage, nr Ploemeur, Lorient France which is now to to be named in the memory of Ernest Russell Lyon.

This is 8th November 2008, which co-incides with the weekend of Remembrance Day 2008.

There is planned to be a "stele" , a sculpture comprising the original recovered Spitfire Propeller hub with the blades of the propeller reproduced in metal, (perhaps wire?), mounted on a frame, and around which will be planted some scottish heather that I took out to Brittany at the end of July.

With the blades and hub this will be some 10-12 ft diameter this "stele" will stand beside the roundabout in perpetuity.

In answer to why the French are honouring this one individual who gave his life in WW2 the response generally is that it is "symbolique".

I, and others in my family, remain very moved by what is happening in memory of our uncle.

After the events of 8th November I will post a picture for the forum of the stele and roundabout.

Thanks to all for their interest.

Puffin

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 pm

hi Puffin
A date is now set by the Mayor of Larmor Plage for an inauguration ceremony at the new roundabout at Larmor Plage, nr Ploemeur, Lorient France which is now to to be named in the memory of Ernest Russell Lyon.
Wow! That is some result. And I'm sure more overwhelming than simply "symbolique" to you and your family. What an incredible outcome. And very moving that some Scottish heather will grow there in his memory. Well done.

Best wishes
Lesley

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 am

Hi puffin

The word 'interest' is too mundane and insignificant to describe the fascination and warmth that your posts have brought.
It's lovely to know that there still exists such positive feelings about events so long ago. Too often following generations want to forget the past rather than respect and honour it and those who made the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

Thank you for your determination

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny