Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

puffin

Ernest Russell Lyon 1922-1944

Post by puffin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks Russell and Lesley,

Apologies if I am understating my feelings, and just presenting the cold facts of the story.

I am quite overwhelmed by the hospitality given by my new french friends and the interest that the french researchers and their colleagues have in the discovery of the spitfire crash site, and the " inconnu" grave at Guidel.

I would add that in the last couple of months I have been receiving poems written by a retired French Air Force pilot who used to fly the Mirage jet, amongst other planes. So he is no slouch when it comes to knowing human reaction and emotion, but in his retirement has turned to poetry on rather a grand scale.

He has created an allusion of this story to Le Petit Prince, the well known story by the author Antoine de St. Expury See.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de ... up%C3%A9ry

(who happened also to be a pilot and to go missing over Corsica on 31.7.1944 just four days after the day Russell was shot down).

Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures here of the roundabout and " stele" at Larmor Plage after my next visit there in early November.

Thanks to Talkingscot, who have played their part in this story.

Puffin

puffin

Post by puffin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 pm

It is now just two weeks away from the formal ceremony for the unveiling of the Stele and the inauguration of the roundabout at Larmor Plage in memory of Russell, which is scheduled to start at 11.00am on Saturday 8th November.

This is Remembrance Day Weekend when the Nation remembers all of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of the creation of a better and more humane world for those who survived the major conflicts of the last century.

This week I was sent the protocol document for the ceremony for the 8th November, and this shows just how very seriously this is being taken by the people of the area who are making this happen.

Whilst the memorial is to an individual, my uncle, both I and others recognize this is a rare occurrence. My family and I are viewing it with much appreciation but with recognition that it is, as the french have said to me, ...."symbolique"... of so many hundreds and thousands of other service and civilian casualties of WW2. It is being viewed in the local area as of educational and cultural significance

I have three duties at the ceremony..... to jointly unveil the Stele with the Mayor......to give a speech (in French) of thanks on behalf of the family.........and to plant the scottish heathers that I took out in July, with myself and the two main local researchers in the joint role of head gardeners and with chosen local schoolchildren doing the actual planting.

Nine members of my family are travelling out for the Ceremony.

As presently planned the ceremony has an armed guard of honour, drawn from the local Air/Naval Base, a musical accompaniment from musicians from Brest, there will be local veterans associations and their flag bearers, representation from local French and UK military and civic dignitaries, it will have speeches by the Mayor and myself, the unveiling of the Stele itself, the planting of the scottish heathers, the placing of wreaths, one minutes silence and the playing of the National Anthems of France and Great Britain.

All of this moving ceremony is then to be followed by a reception hosted by the Mayor.

I would never, in my deepest imagination, have thought that my posting on this site, of a simple memorial for my Uncle Russell, before Remembrance Day in 2006, would have resulted in all that has happened since and now this marvellous Ceremony occurring. I suspect that it will be quite emotional on the day.

Afterwards I will be posting again here, hopefully with some photographs of the Stele and special moments in the Ceremony.

On the off chance that members of this forum might be able, if not enticed to attend, please can they make themselves known to me if they do. The Ceremony takes place at this new roundabout which is on the road between Larmor Plage and Ploemeur, at Kercaves, which is just a few hundred metres from where Russell's Spitfire crashed after being shot down by the flak battery at Quatre Chemins. The Guard of Honour is due to be in place from 10.30am with the ceremony itself formally commencing at 11.00am

This must also be very, very good for the 'Entente Amicable'.

Puffin

diane.campbell

What a story

Post by diane.campbell » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi Puffin

What a story !!! hope you and your family have a great time and look forward to seeing the photo's.

Diane :)

puffin

Post by puffin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 pm

As the weekend approaches I am being sent images from Larmor Plage in readiness for the Ceremony on Saturday morning.

Here is one that I can share, a road closure notice. I am told these signs are all over the roads leading into the area.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1694

I have never ever managed to get a road closure ever before, for any reason.

The water tower in the background is at Quatre Chemins which is where the German flak battery that shot down Russell's Spitfire was located.

You can just see in the middle distance the position of the new roundabout.

More will follow after the ceremony.

Puffin

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi Puffin
You must be feeling quite excited, but also a bit nervous about the whole thing, especially now that you are responsible for closing roads for the first time in your life!! :lol:

I very much hope your trip goes smoothly and that you can enjoy the ceremony, and that the Scottish heather takes root quickly! We look forward to hearing (and seeing!) how the day went - you have achieved so much in so little time, but not without a lot of hard work and dedication, to your credit. You've done Russell proud!

Bon Voyage
Lesley

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi Puffin,

What an honour for Russell! This Remembrance Day Weekend is going to be extremely memorable for you and your family...it is indeed heartwarming!

Regards,
Anne H

puffin

Post by puffin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I am posting just 24hrs after getting back home after the most marvellous weekend, with the high emotion of the Inauguration and Unveiling Ceremony at Larmor Plage, coupled with the enjoyment of excellent hospitality of those kind researcher friends, (they know who they are) who provided accommodation and by the Mayor who hosted the reception and lunch after the official ceremonies were over.

I have over 200 photos to sort and select just a few to post or give links here to share with the forum. So please bear with me if I am not posting these immediately. I am working on it as best as I can with the limitations of my technical skills.

At the ceremony there were the highest ranking officers from the French Air Force present together with many other military, civic representation and members of the public, and of all ages.

Despite the direst of weather forecast for 100% chance of rain and full cloud cover, the sun shone against a blue sky.

I was pinching myself now and again to check it was not a dream.

All who were with me said that they were surprised and it was much much better than they had expected.

Puffin

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm delighted to hear that all went well Puffin, I did 'google' on Saturday night and found a small photo and an article on the event [ in French :wink: ] but didn't know which was you.

We will all be pleased to hear and see more of your experiences.

I was at my Father's on Friday and we unearthed his Michelin maps of the area, but we'd never actually visited Larmor Plage - perhaps one Day I'll take my children , I certainly have a reason to go there now.
Wilma

puffin

Post by puffin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm

puffin

Ernest Russell Lyon 1933-1944

Post by puffin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:33 pm

And I have now managed to add three more.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1705

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1706

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1707

Thanks to AP for the links added earlier.

This is a rhetorical question but does the forum want to see the other 193 photos?

During this week or perhaps not quite so qucickly, I am expecting to receive from the official Lann Bihoue Base photographer the results of his exploits, and also perhaps the same for the Local Authority Official photographer.

Thanks to all for their interest and help when needed.

Puffin

Gallery URLs added - AndrewP