I found them

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

bluebell

I found them

Post by bluebell » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:18 pm

Because of all the replies to a previous posting of mine regarding Livingstones, I have now managed to go back a bit further and found my 4th gt grandparents Malcolm Livingstone born 1771 Craignish Argyll and wife Sarah Campbell born 1781 married Mar 20 1800 Kilfinan Argyll. Thank you all so much for your help being a novice at this I assumed that because my gt gran Mary Livingstone was born in Blantyre so were her parents etc, just shows that you really shouldnt make assumptions. But more than that having got Argyll as a starting point I started looking through the Scotland BDM Exchange for Livingstones and instead I find most of my Nimmo connections, so am now in contact with a very distant relation in Australia who is also researching Nimmo ancestors !!!!! . [5 cups]

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Hi Bluebell

Having located your Livingstones you will probably find that many entries are Livingston - with no 'e' at the end :!:

There are several lines and all of them seemed to use the same forenames and marry McLeans or McLaines depending on who wrote the entry, as well as Curries and McGilvrays. In other words, expect to find a lot of apparent inter-marrying which makes it difficult to sort out who is actually part of your family line.
We found that by locating a known family member on the 1841 census we could look at their near neighbours on FreeCen and often found brothers and sisters living nearby.

Good luck

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

bluebell

Re; I found them

Post by bluebell » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks Russell I shall bear in mind what you have said about intermarrying and will check near neighbours when I am on the trail again.