Passenger lists on Ancestry

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

Passenger lists on Ancestry

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Well, Duh!!!

After searching these lists for a year and a half, I just discovered that some of them have TWO pages! The one from 1884 didn't, but so far five of them in the 1906-1910 range did.

If this is news to you too, click on View Image and download the first image then go up to the green arrow labeled Next and click on it to download the next page in the series. Make a note of the line number for your relative's entry on the first page, then look for it on the next page.

Found out that my grandfather was only 5 feet 5 inches tall, had brown hair and blue eyes and a dark complextion!

Another blizzard of paper is about to ensue.

Carol :roll: :roll: :roll:
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 am

Hi Carol,

Better late than never! :lol: I'm sure there will be many who will thank you for pointing the second page out! :) Have fun!

Regards,
Anne H

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:17 am

Hi Carol,
As you have found out, the second page often has interesting and sometimes crucial information, like place of birth and address they were heading for, etc. It helps to confirm that one has the correct James Stewart... or not!
[cheers]
Sarah

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:52 am

Hi all,

Yes, the addresses are particularily valuable, but the other stuff is the most fun. My great Aunt Jessie looks so formidable in her pictures, but she was only 5 feet tall--shorter than me! Not by much though! :lol:

Carol

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:09 am

Don't take the descriptions too seriously:

a relative of mine went to Mass. twice. Once with fair complexion, brown hair and blue eyes.
The next year she had a fresh Complexion, dark hair brown eyes !

But she gave a more detailed address the 2nd time which helped a lot.
Wilma

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:13 am

It would be even more interesting today.

You could have your hair a different color any time that you wanted, and you could always wear color lenses to change your eye color. A good tan, or different shades of make up could change your complexion. :lol:

Regards
Sheila

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Ah don't feel bad about missing the second page Carol....I did that for a long time too! I think it took someone pointing it out to me in the end!

Nina :lol: :lol: :lol:
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 am

Thanks Nina!

Turns out I only missed half of them. The listings from 1906 and before don't have a second page! Found out that one great uncle by marriage was lame and another had a tattoo on his right hand. :o Doesn't say what the tattoo was of though!

Carol :D

SGould40

Re: Passenger lists on Ancestry

Post by SGould40 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 pm

WHOO Hoo..... my very 1st post on TalkingScot.

Folks, I always look at the page before and the page after. A lot of records have a second page. I also always go to page one too. Often the first page of a ships manifest will have a summary and other details that are interesting. I learned my grandmother and her parents ship docked at 8 am, on May 20, 1910. Not hugely useful, but cool information. I love the passenger lists that give a 'next of kin', that's how I learned my 2nd g grandmother remarried, so with the new name I found her in a 1911 census.

Many other documents have seond pages, ones I've seen are a few census, border crossings between US/Canada, and military files, OMG.... my great uncle had 26 documents in his military file, I was able to follow his life from birth in 1876 through 2 wars, 4 Atlantic crossings from UK to Erie, PA, the Boar War, WWI, his marriage and his kids births to him recieving his pension when he retired in Ireland. It was an AWESOME find.

Cheers from Canada
Steve