ships names mystery

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

kenspeckle

ships names mystery

Post by kenspeckle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:48 am

I have a bit of a mystery my GGG Uncle was Captain Daniel Tolmie of the Brig Rolla comes up in wedding cert newspapers ships news he was b 1819
and died at Sea 4 days after leaving Honduras on the Barque Albert of Yellow Fever Oct 1847 his previous voyages had all been on the Brig Rolla of Glasgow and he was named a s of the brig Rolla between Glasgow and Antigua / St Thomas carrying mahogany and other wood
the only Brig Rolla I can find is HMS Brig Rolla surely two ships would not have the same name and I cant see the navy carrying mahogany ?? ad the HMS Rolla was in different waters does anyone know where i can find more on the Brig Rolla of Glasgow
appreciate any advice

lesley
researching : Roddick, Stewart, Combe,Lyle , Wilkie, Budge, Kirkwood,Howat, McKinlay, Gunning, Gumprecht, Mirrlees, Muckersie, Greig, Moncrieff, Pattison, Hornibrook, Teape, Brockhoff,Buchanan,

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 am

Hello Lesley,

It’s probably best to forget about the HMS Rolla or the HM Brig Rolla. It was a ship of war and appears to have been on anti-slavery patrol etc in an area which included the West Indies in the period in question. You’ll have enough trouble sorting out the various Brigs Rolla of the civilian variety that were sailing around about the same time in the same and different parts of the world, not to mention the Barques Rolla and Ships Rolla and even Clipper-Brigs Rolla of the time that can help to confuse things.

The tonnage of the ship can be as important as the name as it doesn’t usually change and is often quoted. You sound as though you may have seen the entries in the “19th Century British Library Newspapers”. The only ones you can count on as being yours, generally speaking, are those where the ships name also has the master’s name or the tonnage or perhaps “of Glasgow” attached.

The Glasgow Herald, June 9, 1845 mentions the Brig Rolla, 163 tons, Tolmie, and again on March 2, 1846 reports arrival of brig Rolla of Glasgow, Tolmie, 163 tons, and others. Searching for Rolla 163 also brings up some entries in The Belfast News-Letter:

January 12, 1849, Belfast Shipping list – The following additions to the shipping list of 1848 appear in that which has been just published on the opening of the current year, viz: –In the foreign trade–United Kingdom, Rolla 163. (one of many in list)

January 2, 1852, a List of Shipping registered at the port of Belfast, 1st of January, 1852, employed in the foreign Trade of this Port, Rolla, 163 tons, Owners: W. C. Heron & Co. (one of many in list)

January 16, 1856, a List of Shipping registered at the port of Belfast, January 1, 1856, employed in the foreign Trade of this Port, Rolla, 163 tons, Owners: Wm. Cowan Heron (one of many in a list of which there are a large number of duplicated names only distinguished by the tonnage. e.g. John, Mary etc.)

In the Shipping news there is usually a Glasgow list which appears to be just a place for reporting news about Glasgow ships. In July 1847 the master of the Rolla appears to have been Watson on its return from Nassau. Maybe your fellow was disabled for some time. The ship is reported at Belfast mid 1848 and is still appearing in the Glasgow reports despite being registered at Belfast.

By the end of 1849 it’s sailing to Barbados and Demerara. In February 1852 the master is Bell and it is still owned by Herons and carrying sugar from Demerara. May 1853 still carrying sugar under master Bell and owned by Heron but in October 1853 the Rolla, 163 tons, has just returned from Havana still with master Bell but the owner, or maybe the cargo owner, is C. S. Lemon & Co. In January 1854 she puts into Belfast from Havana with a lost wheel, bulwarks, roundhouse etc and leaky.

That’s about all I can see at present. If you want a selection of the available clippings sent to you please let me know. I did see a “for sale” advert, I think it was, with a description of the barque Albert I could round up if you want it.

There was a brig Rolla of either 164 or 165 tons lurking around the Australia/New Zealand coast around the same time but this seems to overlap the other periods and probably no connection http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Hope this helps,
Alan

Almost forgot, brief mention here:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ssk ... 22#PPA7,M1