Female Convict Transport "Amphitrite"

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AJampoler

Post by AJampoler » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Alan,

Thanks very much for all the information. The newspaper site is very helpful. Thanks especially for that (although I've paid for a week's access to The Scotsman). Thanks, too, for the connection to the Nat'l Lib of Australia.

Yes, I knew most of the rest, but not the Byron connection, and I'll try to follow up on that. Do you know of more?

I have the parlimentary papers re the Chads investigation. I'm exploring the political issues re the French customs officers on the beachfront that night now. There should be something in Foreign Office files, but I don't have it yet.

Anything more would be most welcome, Andy
Andrew C. A. Jampoler
Leesburg, Virginia, USA

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:23 am

Hello Andy,

All I know of the Byron matter is what comes up with a separate search in Google Books using the search string forrester surgeon alacrity.

Some of the results give the surgeons name as Daniel Forrester although I suspect that’s an error. I don’t know whether it’s the same James Forrester, surgeon, but there shouldn’t be too many of them around.

All the best with the book,
Alan

AJampoler

Post by AJampoler » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 am

Alan, thanks. I'll pull that string.

It's going reasonably well, in part thanks to many helpful people such as yourself.

Good story, too.

Best wishes, Andy
Andrew C. A. Jampoler
Leesburg, Virginia, USA

AJampoler

Post by AJampoler » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 pm

I returned from a research trip in England and Scotland earlier this week, having spent nine very fruitful days in libraries and archives, the last day or so of which navigating around the crowds beginning to arrive for the Fringe Festival. All that in beautiful weather in both London and Edinburgh.

The trip unearthed very good information on Captain John Hunter of Ayr, master of the transport "Amphitrite," but really (sadly) nothing new on her surgeon-superintendent, another Scot named James Forrester.

Back home I discovered that HM's counsul in Boulogne, William Hamilton, (later Sir WIlliam Hamilton) was also a Scot, one of seven children of his generation from the Hamiltons of Lanarkshire. He served in Boulogne more than 50 years!

I'd be grateful for any information on the family, on Sir William, or on Lanarkshire in the 1820s-40s.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer,

Andy
Andrew C. A. Jampoler
Leesburg, Virginia, USA

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 am

Hello Andy,

You may already have these.

Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin), Saturday, April 29, 1876
HAMILTON—April 25, at Boulogne-sur-Mer, Claudette Rebiere, wife of Sir William Hamilton, formerly H.M. Consul, Boulogne-sur-Mer.

The Pall Mall Gazette (London), Thursday, February 15, 1877
Sir William Hamilton, who for upwards of half a century was her Majesty’s Consul at Boulogne-sur-Mer, died at his residence at that town yesterday morning, his eighty-seventh birthday. Sir William entered the navy in 1803, and was a prisoner of war in France from 1805 to 1814. He was appointed Vice-Consul at Flushing and Middleburg in 1817; at Antwerp, and afterwards at Ostend, in 1818; at Nieuport, in 1820; and at Boulogne in 1822. In 1826 he was appointed Consul there, and was knighted for his long official services in 1873, when he retired on a pension.

It looks like he married his jailer’s daughter.
http://www.google.com.au/books?id=BEvz8 ... amilton%22

In 1814. (married 62 years)
William HAMILTON, 25 ans, aspirant, épouse Claudette REBIERE, 19 ans, de Verdun.
http://books.google.com.au/books?q=%22C ... arch+Books

There’s a picture of him and an article in an 1873 issue of the Illustrated London News. It is just barely readable and appears to continue on the other side.
http://www.old-print.com/cgi-bin/item/N1340873655#

There’s info about his ancestors here. http://www.google.com.au/books?id=O8AIA ... amilton%22

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

AJampoler

Post by AJampoler » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Alan,

That's excellent stuff, thanks very much. I had the ILN piece (the first half, anyway, that is all over the web), but nothing else. Your information will be very helpful.

Hamilton is a key figure in the story. He was the object of a serious legal assault on him, charging that he was responsible for the deaths of all through failure to perform his office.

Captain Henry Chads' investigation on behalf of the Admiralty cleared him.

Interesting how many of the key players in the story were Scots.

Thanks again, Andy
Andrew C. A. Jampoler
Leesburg, Virginia, USA