Merchant seaman from aberdeen

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

luciealexa

Merchant seaman from aberdeen

Post by luciealexa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Can anyone help with information about a 14year old lad (my great-uncle) in 1910 leaving school in Aberdeen and going to sea?

My query isn't specifically about him, I'm looking for general info about the Merchant trade out of Aberdeen, what companys or types of ship he might have signed up with and is 14 not too young to be working at sea in those days?

Thanks in anticipation,
LA

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:19 pm

is 14 not too young to be working at sea in those days
No. Compulsory schooling for 5-12 year olds had been mandatory for years by then, but in 1901 the school leaving age was raised to 14 and remained so for several decades.

Hugh Stevely

Aberdeen Ships

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Have a look at the link companys or types of ship from Aberdeen.

This link is up on Marine Data but not at the moment.

http://www.aberdeenships.com/default.asp?offset=0

Seafarer's professions and ranks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafarer%2 ... _and_ranks

A Cabin boy or ship's boy is a boy (in the sense of low-ranking male employee, not always a minor) who waits on the officers and passengers of a ship,[1] especially running errands for the captain.

Cabin boys were usually from 14-16 years old and also helped the cook in the galley and carried buckets of food from the galley to the forecastle where the ordinary seamen ate. They would have to run from one end of the ship to the other carrying messages and become familiar with the sails, lines and ropes and the use of each in all sort sorts of weather. They would have to scramble up the rigging into the yards whenever the sails had to be trimmed. They would even begin to stand watches like other crewmen or act as helmsman in good weather, holding the wheel to keep the ship steady on her course.

Hugh.

luciealexa

Many thanks

Post by luciealexa » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks very much for both posts, I have a better understanding of what my relative may have done on board ship now and have a few company archives to follow up.

Thanks again,
Lucie

PS I live in Strathbungo if you need any photos of buildings etc.

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Ooh! Thanks for the offer - unfortunately, I don't know which building he was born in, as yet!