Ships from Genoa Italy to Scotland

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

maggiehill

Ships from Genoa Italy to Scotland

Post by maggiehill » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:26 pm

My ancestor was John Lando who left Italy aged 14, he was in Biggar aged 15, in 1851. John Lando’s father was in the Merchant Navy, as was his brother; John was a stowaway on board the ship from Genoa.
We deduced it seems likely that knew the Poletti family were living in Biggar at the time; they had originally come from the Como area in Italy. On 1871 Census the Poletti family were China Merchants and carried on the trade for many years.
In the late 1890's we have been told that a Ships Captain possibly John Lando's brother arrived in Biggar to try to find his brother but with no luck, the family were also told that a ship’s captain was in Biggar looking for John but they did not get to Biggar in time. John's brother was probably on the ship supplying china to the Poletti family.

On all the Census’s Joseph Poletti said he was born in various places in Perthshire one being Dunnon.

How can I find out which Port the ship would have docked?
Are there any records of Merchant Navy Ships arriving in Scotland?

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:28 am

Hello Maggie,

You would need the name of the ship to be able to track its movements etc. The newspapers of the time reported shipping movements but it can be difficult or impossible to tell whether you’re looking at the right one.

The only newspaper item I can find referring to a ships captain named Lando is this report about what appears to be a Norwegian ship called “Edith” which was reported missing.

The Times, Thursday, Jan 26, 1899;
The LAURELBANK of Glasgow, official No. 102,623, Lindsay master, which sailed from Shanghai for Portland, Oregon, in ballast on August 31; EDITH, of Stavanger, Lando master, which sailed from Hayti for Falmouth for orders with a cargo of logwood on September 8, 1898; and the BETHANIA, of Mandal, Askeland master, which sailed from Granton for Christiansand on October 8, 1898, and have not since been heard of, were posted yesterday at Lloyd’s as missing.

You’ll find a number of ships named Edith on the Miramar Ship Index. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/

I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that his brother was probably on the ship supplying china etc.

Hope that helps,
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello Currie

Sorry I have not replied earlier but I did not get a notification.

Thanks for information on ships I will try and research that further. Thats the first real lead that there was a Captain Lando.

The Poletti's were importers of fine china from Italy and with a ships captain being in Biggar looking for our John Lando we assumed that he was on a ship delivering some china for the Poletti's. Just as likely he could had been on a ship docked in Scotland.

Were was/is Hayti all I can find is a place in USA.
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 am

Hello Maggie,

I couldn’t figure the Hayti bit out either but I had another look. If you google HAYTI LOGWOOD it looks as though it’s where Port-au-Prince is located and was at one time known as Saint Domingo etc. i.e. what is now known as Haiti in the Caribbean.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hayti

All the best,
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 am

Hi Currie

Thank you for the information, I have been Googling and found this Web Site with some person searching for the same vessel. I do not know if it is a coincidence or some person trying to find the answered for me.

http://warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1, ... #msg-46079

I have been trying to log onto the site but to date I have had no luck.

Do you know of any links to Stavanger Merchant Navy?

Maggie
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:05 am

I don’t know who that would be Maggie. It’s quite a coincidence it cropping up so soon after your enquiry. I’m still not finding anything for the Edith probably because it seems to have been the Ivy right up to the end of 1897.

The Leeds Mercury, Saturday, November 13, 1886
William Glen, captain, of the barque Ivy, of Quebec, arrested.
(Some newspapers reported the ship as the British barque, Ivy.)

Glasgow Herald, Tuesday, July 24, 1894
Monte Video reported British barque Ivy ashore on British Bank but got off.

The Belfast News-Letter, Thursday, September 23, 1897
For the wooden barque Ivy, lying at Limerick, an offer of £600 has been refused.

The Belfast News-Letter, Thursday, November 11, 1897
The wooden barque Ivy, lying at Limerick, is presently under offer at something near £600. She is 547 tons register, and was built at Quebec in 1879.

There’s a bit about researching Norwegian mariners here. http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/NorwaySeamenResearch.html

Try a question on warsailors.com if you can logon.

All the best,
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Currie
I contacted the person who was enquiring about the Edith he is writing a book so no connection.

I have managed to get a copy of the Lloyds Registers with Captain Lando on from this site: To find the crew list I need the Ships number and guess what its missing on the scanned copy, I have e-mailed them re the fault.

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/findingoncrewlists.html

I have also found an Index to the Captains Registers at the Guildhall Library in London which has a Captain Giovanni Lando born in Genoa in 1833. My ancestor John Lando was born in Genoa according to all the Census's.

Maggie

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi Maggie:

Have you had a look at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/214.htm

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Frances

Thanks for that information I did not think to look at incoming passengers as he was a Ships Captain. If he went to Biggar searching for his brother it should be registered.
We are not Ancestry subscribers at the monent as my husband is waiting for all the London records to go online.

Maggie

maggiehill

Re: Ships from Genoa Italy to Scotland

Post by maggiehill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Frances
I have looked on Ancestry but have not found my Lando connection yet.

Alan
I have sent email to Stavanger Marine Museum but have not received a reply to date and also to other Shipping Records Offices re Master Lando who went missing on the Edith in 1898/9.

I did find on the Lloyds Register a Captain Giovanni Lando born 1833 who obtained his certificate in Cork in 1866 but sadly his ship The Austerlitz went missing in 25/26 June 1873 and next to his name is DEAD. I have to send Newfoundland my Credit Card No. before they will carry out a search for any additional information.
I have tried searching for this in The Times but with no success.

On our next cruise we will check to see if the Captain is a Lando.

Maggie
Maggie