Emigration - Ancestry or FMP look up please

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jockbird

Emigration - Ancestry or FMP look up please

Post by Jockbird » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Hello everyone, long time since I've been on here, hope you are all well.

I really don't know where to go next with this one.

An ancestor of mine,

Isabella Wright Millar, born 1871, Glasgow
(She also went by the name Bella)

was a bible woman, who, according to her father's poor relief application in 1909 was "married and living in South Africa", along with her sister (Barbara Millar, born 1881, Glasgow).

Both girls were in Glasgow in 1901 but by the time of the poor relief app in 1909 were, allegedly, in Cape Town, South Africa.

Could anyone confirm when they sailed, also, does anyone know how I could find out what happened to them once they settled in South Africa?

I'd dearly love to know what became of them and appreciate any help that can be offered.

Many thanks
Donna

p.s. I did post on this subject a couple of years ago but having hit brickwalls ](*,) shelved it until now......nothing came to light in the meantime, unfortunately.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Re: Emigration - Ancestry or FMP look up please

Post by Tracey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Donna

Im not to sure that Ancestry, unlike FMP, has information to South Africa but sometimes its easier to find them coming back on the Incoming Passenger List. Do you know what their married sir names were ?
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Tracey,

No, I don't :( ](*,)

Also haven't a clue whether they did come back in or not. Certainly by 1909 Isabella is 'apparently' married with children, according to her father's poor relief app, that's why they are listed as being unable to assist. Barbara at that point would appear to still be single.

Why couldn't they have gone somewhere like Australia so that I could have a better chance of finding out what happened to them??

Best wishes
Donna

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Donna,

If you go to SP and search for Marriages, Isabella Millar, Lanarkshire, 1901 to 1909, no male surname, eleven results will come up. You might be able to look at those and eliminate some by location, then find the certificate for your Isabella which will give you her married name and the date. There are many passenger records on Ancestry, but without her married name, we can't search for her. The same should work for Barbara, if you think she was married when she left for Africa.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Jockbird

Re: Emigration - found all that's need at present

Post by Jockbird » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks Carol,

Sorry, should've said that I've already spent a mild fortune eliminating all Isabella and Bella Millar variations, likewise with Barbara. #-o

Both were single when they sailed.

Having stayed up waaaaaay too late last night ....ahem, this morning....I did find death details of Isabella, she died in Capetown in 1918 and was Isabella Byers at the time of death. Nothing on Barbara though. Isabella luckily had a rather obvious middle name, Barbara didn't.

I think I need to collect everything I've now found and amble off to our South Africa board.

Best wishes
Donna

Lindsay

Post by Lindsay » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:32 pm

I may have found Isabella. On FMP there is a Bella W Miller, age 30, Scottish, teacher, single, departed on 20 March 1902 Liverpool, destination of passenger, Cape, South Africa. The name of the ship was Persic which was bound for Sydney Australia

Just to add a possible for Barbara. There is a Miss B Miller bound for Capetown, departed Liverpool 21 November 1907 on the Medic (bound for Sydney Australia). SHe is age 26 and a spinster.
Lindsay

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Donna,

Maybe you can help me this time? Where did you find the death details for Isabella in Cape Town? I just discovered yesterday that one of my grandmother's cousing moved to Port Elizabeth, South Africa sometime after 1871 and probably died there. This will be my first search in South Africa and I don't have a clue yet where to start!

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi Carol,

Happy to help.

I found the initial burial information on http://ancestry24.com/

I then backed that up on http://www.ancestors.co.za by finding the document that I could order but the info listed (ie first name, surname, maiden name and YOB) gave me pretty much all I needed to know, it confirmed that it was my relation.

Apparently, and I cannot for the life of me remember which of the many SA sites that I've visited, it's the death notices that are the documents that tell you the most information but there is no online resource for that yet.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Lindsay for confirming that info.

Donna

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks Donna,

Looks like everything I want to see is locked up at the Ancestry24 site and it looks expensive, but I'll keep trying!

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Dont despair Donna

My gt grandfathers sisters and niece emigrated to South Africa and only this week i had a response to a post i posted five years ago, its not the first response but i am still getting them.I'm just glad i still have the same email address !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings