Marine Radio Coastal Communications

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Hugh Stevely

Marine Radio Coastal Communications

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 am

Coastal Radio Stations,

http://www.coastalradio.org.uk/

Hugh.

Currie

Re: Marine Radio Coastal Communications

Post by Currie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 am

Thanks for that Hugh,

It would be interesting to be able to tune into some of those frequencies via the internet but I guess that’s not an option.

All the best,
Alan

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Alan,

There are frequencies via the internet you can Listen in on i have my own Radios for that for, Maritime,
Air traffic controller,s and so on i also have a HF Radio that picks up Transmissions World Wide i listen to radio operators from Australia any where in the world i look for Maritime mobiles Ships, at Sea i can also send them a report on the Signal reciveed. via the internet and get many reply,s.

Here is a link the Australian one is good.

Hugh.

http://www.switchbanks.com.au/shiptracking.html

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Hello Hugh,

That’s an interesting site, there seems to be a bit of just about everything.

I couldn’t get it to work with Firefox unless I used a plug-in but it was OK with IE. I listened in to a few ‘conversations’. I used to listen in to Short Wave etc many years ago but I don’t think I’ll take it up as a hobby. About the only item of hardware of that kind I have is an old Grundig Satellit 2100 receiver that weighs a ton and doesn’t get a lot of use nowadays.

Alan

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Alan, yes a bit of every thing interesting site, ok on the Grundig Satellit 2100 a good reciver i have at the moment Kenwood Trio R2000 with built in VHF Converter and Long Wire up at 60 Ft, i would not part with it most of the time i use it for maritime communication,s

All the best Hugh.

Kennwood Radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GG-XxEtLSo

q98

Post by q98 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 am

Interesting site Hugh - thanks.

As an R.N. "sparker", I always tried Portishead Radio first then Halifax but most certainly avoided Vishakapatnam #-o even if he responded with our call-sign.
I was very surprised to hear that the use of Morse Code (CW) has virtually disappeared. It is the ONE mode which WILL get through because there is a human brain on each end of the circuit. When driving, I have a habit of forming vehicle registrations in morse code in my mind :- .
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:23 am

Hi Jim,
Ok on the RN Sparker how many words a minute,s where you? great job that.

Not many around on the morse CW but still there on the Maritime Marine side a lot of young ones going in for there test ,there is a school in Russia for Radio hams i heard a young lady on 20 m band the other day she was only 13 spoke better english than me hi hi try this link you can also listen to Portsmouth and Southamton live on channel 11 12 16 also the web cam.

Ok Jim all the best.

Hugh.

http://www.ais-live.co.uk/aismap/AIS%20 ... ntcam.html

q98

Post by q98 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Hugh
Send/receive minimum 30wpm. Served HMS Mercury (RO training & later as Ships Co.), Zulu, Yarnton, Intrepid and RFA Gold Ranger for 3 months. When the North Sea started up, they were looking for Radio Officers with PMG ticket not ex-military sparkers, then within a couple of years that changed. In 1973, I brought my Aussie wife back to Oz. Between my arrival down under and RAAF enlistment in 1978, I worked at Perth and Port Hedland Airports in AFTN (Aeronautical Fixed Telecummunications Network). In 1978, I enlisted in the RAAF and did 20 years before separating in 1998 :-({|= I thoroughly enjoyed my RAAF career and would do it again in a flash.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Jim you have had a very interesting life spent at sea in your navy days well done i think we all still have that return to sea in our blood you never forget.Ok on the Vessell,s you sailed on, i was just looking at a RFA LINK.some radio equipment there and some good opportunity to experience a life at sea for those interested.

All the best

Hugh.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/ ... rating.pdf