Clutching at Straws

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

david macdiarmid

Clutching at Straws

Post by david macdiarmid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 am

I am aware that this will probably my least successful posting :( so here goes.As the heading suggests,i am clutching at straws here,due to the very limited knowledge i have on this person.George Burgess appears to have been my Sister's Father.Born i would say in the 1920's,in Leith North,Edinburgh,Scotland.He seems to have been forced into one of the navy's due to this pregnancy.My Sister was Born in 1947,George and my Mum never Married.The Burgess family lived at that time in Great Junction Street,Leith.His navy career took him far and wide,and he got himself into the newspapers for jumping ship and swimming ashore to get back to someone,not sure who this was.He died on the streets of London as a down and out,i don't know when.Very little is known about George in my family and sadly since my Mum passed away i have nobody to ask :cry: Clutching at Straws,indeed,Regards,David
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Clutching at Straws

Post by SarahND » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 am

Hi all,
Since the dates mentioned are way beyond the cutoff dates for the public forum, if anyone has information on George Burgess to share with David, please do so by PM, rather than on the forum.

Best of luck on this one, David! I sympathize with the frustration of trying to find out about someone so closely related, yet so hard to trace...

All the best,
Sarah

Montrose Budie

Re: Clutching at Straws

Post by Montrose Budie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Note that I've PM'd David with the details that he needs.

mb