Ancestry help with passenger lists

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

crayspond

Ancestry help with passenger lists

Post by crayspond » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,

f anyone has Ancestry could you possible have a look for the family Thomson or Thompson. William is Head then Isabella - wife followed by children Margaret, William, Elizabeth, Robert (he may not be there) and Isabella. His birth was around 1837 and they lived in Glasgow, Lanark.
I would think the dates between 1866 and 1870 would be when they would have sailed.

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=L ... d=7488&r=o

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Ailsa

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Ancestry help with passenger lists

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Ailsa,
Looks like they arrived separately, which makes identification of William more difficult, it being such a common name.
Isabella came over with the children arriving 29 May 1868 on the Europa.
The list is on FamilySearch.org, but is not indexed yet. If you go to:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1891
and then click: Browse images
Choose: 295 - 19 May 1868-2 Jun 1868
They are on image 375

No luck identifying William's crossing, but I don't have much time to spend on it.

Best wishes,
Sarah

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Sarah,

Thank very much for the information on Isabella - now you have told me how to look on familysearch i will have a trawl for William.
I wasn't expecting to find them as no one else in her (Isabella's) family , as far as i know had emigrated. Maybe William had a relation in the US.
I will let you know if i find out more.

Regards

Ailsa

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Ailsa,
There are many more things on FamilySearch than can be found in a simple search. They keep putting up whole collections that are not yet indexed and it can be fascinating to trawl through them. I have found many wills and land records that way in the U.S. and cleared out a number of brick walls, just by browsing through the images one by one.

Best wishes,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:40 pm

SarahND wrote:Hi Ailsa,
There are many more things on FamilySearch than can be found in a simple search. They keep putting up whole collections that are not yet indexed and it can be fascinating to trawl through them. I have found many wills and land records that way in the U.S. and cleared out a number of brick walls, just by browsing through the images one by one.

Best wishes,
Sarah
I agree Sarah - they seem to be adding more and more records including US census records.

Ailsa you can search for them yourself at Family search. Here is a link to the 1870 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M863-1VJ

Regards,
Annette

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks Annette,

I don't know how you find them - i looked for ages for that census result and still didn't find it! I still find it strange to think i probably have relations in New York and how amazed they would be to know about their ancestors in Glasgow/Perth/Scotland. This is why i am addicted to genealogy - i don't think i will ever give it up :)

Best wishes,
Ailsa

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi All,

Have been trawling the familysearch site today as it is pouring with rain here - I haven't had much luck with the 1875 and 1880 New York census for the Thompson family but i did come up with this marriage

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F6H2-G6P

However note the name of the groom's mother - Sarah Thompson - could it be a cousin she is marrying? did this happen?

Ailsa
Last edited by crayspond on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Ailsa,

Looks like William is in hospital in 1880 - search for William Thompson age 46. I thought I had found wee Annie also at some sort of institution but since William is indexed as married then perhaps it's not her as you would imagine she'd be with her mother.

Regards,
Annette

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Tue May 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Annette,

Thanks for that info on William - i was looking on the passenger lists for hours today - and i didn't have much luck. I found a few William Thomson's but they were either the wrong age or with their own families. I am giving up on that one - i think i can assume he got there by the 1870 census.
I am finding it hard to find them after that - but will continue when i have more time.

Thanks again,

Ailsa

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am

Hi All at TS,

Still on the search for Thompson's in New York! I am particularly looking for William and Isabella in the 1875 census. If anyone can look on ancestry for me (if it is on there) i would be obliged.
Or, would anyone know which County in New York the 12 Electoral District 22nd ward would have came under in 1875 (This was their address in 1870). On the County list in familysearch it doesn't have New York City on the list but i don't know much about NY!! Here is the link

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... /waypoints

I have tried to find them in the 1880 census and 1892 but it would help if i could find any of them on the 1875.

In 1870

William 33
Isabella 31
Margaret 12
William 10
Lizzie 9
Isabella 4
Annie 1

They may have went on to have Sarah in 1874 - as i found a marriage for her to William Soule in Manhattan ward in 1901 with same parents. Also i found her and him on the 1905 census then the 1910 census with son William age 5.

Of the others i only found

Isabella married to Edward Kindberg in Manhattan in 1885 then on the 1905 census in Rutherford Place Manhattan - only her age 40 and him 57. His occ Real Estate.

Anne married to Henry De Keven Rider (nightmare name to look for) in 1887 in Manhattan - nothing after that.

Any help greatly appreciated - before i go mad ](*,)

Regards
Ailsa