Info on Reginald Roberts Ship Steward

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Raymond Bell

Info on Reginald Roberts Ship Steward

Post by Raymond Bell » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am

Hi just new to the forum and impressed with what I've read so far - well done to all those concerned.

I am trying to find out any information on a relative called Reginald Roberts who was married to a Louie Mulhall or Roberts she shows as a charwoman on my uncles birth certificate - I do not know if Reginald served with the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy all the birth certificate shows is Louie Mulhall or Roberts, Charwoman Widow of Reginald Roberts - Ship Steward who died in Algiers 5th April 1911

Can anyone point me in the right direction to try and find out about Reginald??

Hopfully I've posted in the right section

Thank You

Raymond Bell

StewL

Re: Info on Reginald Roberts Ship Steward

Post by StewL » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 am

Hi Raymond
[TS_welcome]
This is probably as good a spot as any to post at this point.
For the life of me, I can't recall offhand where you possibly can look, someone else should be along soon to help.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Raymond
...and welcome to Talking Scot :D

It would help if you knew if this couple were likely to have married in England or Scotland or elsewhere. Have you tried a search for the marriage? In what county was your uncle born?

I note that there is some more info here where Louie's maiden surname is given as Roper which is different to that given above:
http://www.ancestryaid.co.uk/boards/hel ... 1-ish.html

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 am

Searching with the info from Lesley's link finds that a Louie Roberts was living in Lanarkshire with a Percy Roberts, of the right age, in 1911 and both boys were born there -although if Reginald died in 1911 then Neville couldn't have been his son.

It should tell you on Percy's birth entry where and when Reginald and Louie married and this info might help in the search for Reginald.

If you live near Glasgow then you should definitely visit The Mitchell Library and look for a poorhouse application from Louie.

Regards,
Annette

Raymond Bell

Post by Raymond Bell » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi and thanks for the welcome to the forum from Stew - Lesley and Annette

I have got an extract of Percy's Birth certificate same for Neville - on Percy's it does list a place of marrage it lists 29th September 1902 at Liverpool
Percy was born 13 Nov 1910 at Glasgow Maternity Hospital and at that time Reginald and Louie lived at 50 Balfour Street Glasgow.

The link on the Ancestry aid - I posted that and did mention the name Roper with Louie but it does not show on any of the extract birth certificates

And as you said Annette Neville could not have been Reginalds son - Neville was born on 25 March 1914 must have been born in the home as his place of birth is shown as 20 Lyon Street Glasgow

Should I try and get the full copies of their birth certificate in particular Percy's - My mother Doris born in 1917 was named Doris Barbara Moutray Mulhall or Roberts

Percy was killed during WW2
Doris died in Bolton Lancs 1989
Neville died in Glasgow 1991

I tried all sorts of searches including Ancestry to try and find out how Reginald died

Thanks for your input so far

Raymond

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:43 am

Hi Raymond
I tried to have a look for Percy's birth in 1910 Glasgow, without any luck!
I did have a look at one born 1901 but it was not him.
I also did a broader search in Lanark, but that did hot help at all.
Are you sure Percy was born in Scotland?
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 am

StewL wrote:I tried to have a look for Percy's birth in 1910 Glasgow, without any luck!
I did have a look at one born 1901 but it was not him.
I also did a broader search in Lanark, but that did hot help at all.
Are you sure Percy was born in Scotland?
Hi Stew,

He is there under his Sunday title: Percival Marshall Roberts.

All the best,

AndrewP

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks Andrew
I am sure Raymond will be happy to have a look for him on SP.
This might be the one that gets Raymond hooked on this pastime, if he isn't already :lol:
[cheers]
Stewie

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am

Raymond Bell wrote:Hi and thanks for the welcome to the forum from Stew - Lesley and Annette

I have got an extract of Percy's Birth certificate same for Neville - on Percy's it does list a place of marrage it lists 29th September 1902 at Liverpool
Percy was born 13 Nov 1910 at Glasgow Maternity Hospital and at that time Reginald and Louie lived at 50 Balfour Street Glasgow.

The link on the Ancestry aid - I posted that and did mention the name Roper with Louie but it does not show on any of the extract birth certificates

And as you said Annette Neville could not have been Reginalds son - Neville was born on 25 March 1914 must have been born in the home as his place of birth is shown as 20 Lyon Street Glasgow

Should I try and get the full copies of their birth certificate in particular Percy's - My mother Doris born in 1917 was named Doris Barbara Moutray Mulhall or Roberts

Percy was killed during WW2
Doris died in Bolton Lancs 1989
Neville died in Glasgow 1991

I tried all sorts of searches including Ancestry to try and find out how Reginald died

Thanks for your input so far

Raymond
Hi Raymond,

I take it you got the info about Reginald's death from Neville's birth entry?

Like you I've fruitlessly scoured Ancestry for clues. Not even being able to find the marriage is also very frustrating.

The extracts you have give you all the information there is to give.

I can't even find Louie on census records before 1911. Have you looked at that one to see where she was born ?

Regards,
Annette