William Bruce - SS Falaba 1915 - GRO Cert

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

William Bruce - SS Falaba 1915 - GRO Cert

Post by darylrodger » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

After finding out my great grandfather William Bruce was aboard the SS Falaba in 1915, when it was torpedoed I thought I would
apply for his death cert. so after waiting 3 weeks for the GRO to reply, they sent me a reply earlier saying they couldn't find any trace
of him in their indexes. They also said his ship wasn't registered in Britain, (which it was, in Liverpool). I have emailed them with this info,
along with the location of the disaster (St Anne's Head, Wales).

I would just like to confirm it WAS my great grandfather who perished on that ship in 1915.

Is there a register I could look up myself of civilian deaths at sea ?

Regards,

Daryl

nelmit

Re: William Bruce - SS Falaba 1915 - GRO Cert

Post by nelmit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:18 am

darylrodger wrote:Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

After finding out my great grandfather William Bruce was aboard the SS Falaba in 1915, when it was torpedoed I thought I would
apply for his death cert. so after waiting 3 weeks for the GRO to reply, they sent me a reply earlier saying they couldn't find any trace
of him in their indexes. They also said his ship wasn't registered in Britain, (which it was, in Liverpool). I have emailed them with this info,
along with the location of the disaster (St Anne's Head, Wales).

I would just like to confirm it WAS my great grandfather who perished on that ship in 1915.

Is there a register I could look up myself of civilian deaths at sea ?

Regards,

Daryl
Hi Daryl,

There is a snippet in the Scotsman in 1915 about William being missing.

He was on his way to Accra to take up a job as a mason. Born in Brechin 43 years ago but came to Glasgow when he was 18. He was married with a wife and 6 children and lived at 3 Ralston Street, Anniesland.

If you have a library card you can access the Scotsman through http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries ... /home.aspx

Hope it's him.

I think his death may have been registered in Scotland even though he died elsewhere. Maybe somebody else can confirm that may be the case.

Regards,
Annette

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 am

Hello Daryl,

Civilian War deaths weren't commemorated in WW1. In theory information about a death on a British ship should have eventually ended up with the GRO or GROS etc. That’s the theory. The record, if it eventually got there, would contain only very basic information and the very most you could expect would be as shown on this page. http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/Civil- ... rseas/194/

I don't think there's a record in the Minor Records, Marine Deaths, at SP. If there was no indication he was Scottish the record may be with the GRO. Maybe he's one of these at FMP, or perhaps that’s where you’ve been. http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/mari ... tSearch=on

The Glasgow Herald, March 31, 1915, has information similar to the Scotsman, but with a bit more detail. Eldest child was 21, youngest 15 months. Zoom in on the toolbar another couple of clicks. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=RM ... %2C3566645

All the best,
Alan

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Alan & Annette,

Thank you both so much for those links :D , it IS my great grandfather
William ! The details mentioned in the article confirm his identity.
It's taken over 90 years to find out what happened to him, thank you for
helping me find him =D> the mystery has finally been solved.

Regards,

Daryl