Where would they Register Births at Sea? .....

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

mandyw5

Where would they Register Births at Sea? .....

Post by mandyw5 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:12 pm

Hello
I have found my great great grandmother Jessie Forder nee Nicholl on the 1881 census in Suffolk with her son Charles Nicholls. She was born At Sea off the Coast of Greenock Scotland 1850 and Charles born Dundee.
Someone has just found a birth reference for me Charles Nicholl 28th Sept 1872 Dundee, Angus, Scotland - mother Jessie Nicholl. They said there were no fathers details given.
The vauge family story about my grt Grandfather involved born in Scotland, illegitimacy, West Coast Scotland trawler owning family (though it probably a Fishing Smack!) and a famous Pirate. Well so far the family gossip has stood the test and I want to find the Pirate!!!
Any suggestions as to where I might find a record of Jessies birth or record of Nicholl family fishing off the coast of Greenock in mid 1800's would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Mandy

DavidWW

Re: Where would they Register Births at Sea?

Post by DavidWW » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:49 pm

mandyw5 wrote:Hello
I have found my great great grandmother Jessie Forder nee Nicholl on the 1881 census in Suffolk with her son Charles Nicholls. She was born At Sea off the Coast of Greenock Scotland 1850 and Charles born Dundee.
Someone has just found a birth reference for me Charles Nicholl 28th Sept 1872 Dundee, Angus, Scotland - mother Jessie Nicholl. They said there were no fathers details given.
The vauge family story about my grt Grandfather involved born in Scotland, illegitimacy, West Coast Scotland trawler owning family (though it probably a Fishing Smack!) and a famous Pirate. Well so far the family gossip has stood the test and I want to find the Pirate!!!
Any suggestions as to where I might find a record of Jessies birth or record of Nicholl family fishing off the coast of Greenock in mid 1800's would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Mandy
Mandy

I'd be surprised if this birth was not registered normally in the first port visited after the birth or the home port of the trawler. Only if it was a vessel travelling internationally would I imagine that the birth would have been registered via the separate process for such births involving The Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen, established by the Merchant Shipping Act 1872, when the Registrar General of Seamen took over responsibility for returns relating to the registration of ships from the Board of Customs' Chief Registrar of Shipping ......... but that's not too say that a wee trawler also fell under these rules. These records are held at GRO in London.

Much more likely, I suspect, is that the birth was illegitimate and registered only under the mother's surname.

A pirate?? Aye weel, maybe :!: :wink: but there is almost certain to be at least a grain of truth in the story that has come down the generations.........

Davie

mandyw5

Post by mandyw5 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks for your help Davie. Looks like I'm going to have to get to know the west coast fishing ports a bit better so that I know where to look!

Yes I know the pirate sounds a bit far fetched and its not likely to be down under occupation on the census returns! But it would make a nice change from ag.lab., brickmaker and pork butcher!!!

They reckon he ended his days in London minus his head but I really do think that that is an embellishment too far!

Thanks again
Mandy

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:13 am

Mandy

Is this Jessie in 1891?

1891 Census, Suffolk, Lowestoft
RG12/1493, Reg Dist Mutford, Sub Reg Dist Lowestoft, ED 11, Folio 83, Page 2

55 St Peter's Street
Jessie Forder - Head - Wid - 42 - Charwoman - Born Scotland
George Forder - Son - 14 - Born Suffolk, Lowestoft
Harry S Forder - Son - 10 - Scholar - Born Suffolk, Lowestoft
Jessie M Forder - Dau - 4 - Born Suffolk, Lowestoft

Mary

mandyw5

Post by mandyw5 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:39 am

Hi Mary
Yes that is Jessie but I can't find Charles anywhere in 1891. But in 1901 he is on the census in the Navy in Bermuda, so he might have joined as soon as he was old enough and be on a ship somewhere and the 1891 census return was lost or wrongly transcribed or something.
I'm just building myself up to writing for details of my grandad's wartime naval record so I will have to ask about his father too.
Thanks
Mandy

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:10 am

What names could Jessie's birth be recorded under ?

Wasn't Jessie a pet form of Jean ? was there any others?

Sorry - that my have just muddied the waters further :cry:
Wilma

mandyw5

Post by mandyw5 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:59 pm

I had been thinking along similar lines but thought I should be looking for Janet as well as Jessie Nicholl(s). I hadn't thought of Jean so thanks for that one, I'll have to compile a list of alternate names!

So far Janet - Joan - Jessica..................

She is down as Jessie on census and marriage and did name a daughter Jessie which could indicate that it was her name. But we all know nothing is definate in this game and she'll probably turn out to be a MARY!!

Thanks again
Mandy