Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Unmarried mother home or Convent in Bishopton

Post by AndrewP » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 pm

That is a tricky one, sending away these documents, especially when your postal service is not functioning.

Your suggestion of a UK embassy in South Africa for verification of your documents is worth pursuing with NRS. Failing that, it could be worth asking them if they have any 'trust relationship' with the South African records office (equivalent to NRS) that they could verify your documents on NRS behalf. With adoption records and the sensitivity around them, I wouldn't expect that NRS has any option to overlook any of the proof of identity steps.

All the best,

AndrewP

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:33 pm

thanks very much we contacted an aunt (on his adopted dad's side) she says the only thing she was told was his mom was an unmarried student at Glasgow university. If anyone here was there in 1965 or around that date and may recall someone leaving, i know its a long shot but worth asking.

prq

Post by prq » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:13 pm

I expect NRS have a lot of overseas requests. Hopefully there is a way around requirements for those living in countries with dodgy postal services. Ideally you can get someone travelling to Uk to mail certified identification documents for you...and perhaps NRS would agree to email your husband his original certificate.
For consultation of the adoption file itself held with NRS, it has to be the adoptee or a nominated representative (who needs to show i.a. the original birth certificate and the abbreviate (adoption) certificate. The adoption file is sealed and staff are not allowed to open unless one or the other is present. A copy of everything is made there and then and given to the adoptee/representative. The file is then sealed again. You probably know all this but just in case. The file will contain the agency who arranged the adoption.
Good luck.

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:09 am

Thank you, all info appreciated. Kind regards

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:34 am

hi we have managed to track the names of Grants birth parents, any suggestions on how to look, we are on a few sites the problem is we cannot access recent records - the 1960's onwards . Is there a place on this site i can ask? thanks again, we making progress, just worried they may no longer be alive as they would be in their late 70's and early 80's. They were not married at the time therefore he was put up for adoption, as many in the 60s were. thanks again

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:21 pm

You are one large step forward having names. As they could be living, please don't put their names up here on the forum.

If their names are uncommon, you have a fair chance with https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk . You can look for a death certificate of each person with a range of ages you expect them to be within and see if anything shows up in the index. The index is up to the current day, so includes recent entries that you cannot view the records online. Viewing the index is free of charge. If the name is uncommon enough, you may find useful information there. If you have a female and know her married surname and maiden surname, you can use both names to narrow down the results.

All the best,

AndrewP

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:21 am

thanks Andrew i will try i struggle to access more recent info on all forums but lets see if i can. Much appreciated

prq

Post by prq » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:15 pm

Scotland’s People website is a very powerful tool.. I discovered there within minutes that I had seven (yes 7) younger brothers and sisters. Admittedly it was an unusual maiden name and the mother’s maiden name was recorded each time which is not always the case. I should add...half brothers and sisters.

ParkGrant

Post by ParkGrant » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:26 pm

thanks we are looking through the site, lets hope we find something - much appreciated.