Possible Poorhouse Application 1855

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

David Lang

Possible Poorhouse Application 1855

Post by David Lang » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi All

My relative died in 1885 in Partick , they were from Johnstone, Renfrewshire.Where if anywhere would a poorhouse application be found?

The mother remarried less than 9 months later but had 4 children with her.

Cheers
David
Lang/loynachan/oloynachan/Gillies/Scally/McIlchere- Argyll, Denovan/Rollo, Stirling/Burns-Stirling Mackie/Grant/Ingils/Campbell-Aberdeen,Stewart/Bell-Glasgow
Brown-Ardrossan/Dundonald, Gemmell- Johnstone/Partick
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire

nelmit

Re: Possible Poorhouse Application 1855

Post by nelmit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm

David Lang wrote:Hi All

My relative died in 1885 in Partick , they were from Johnstone, Renfrewshire.Where if anywhere would a poorhouse application be found?

The mother remarried less than 9 months later but had 4 children with her.

Cheers
David
Hello David,

Depending on her circumstances - maybe her husband left a pension or financial aid - there is a good chance there will be an application from the widow. A check of the index at The Mitchell Library will reveal a poorhouse application if one was made.

I have checked out most of my ancestors who lived in Glasgow (even if there was no indication they may have needed help) and it's amazing who applied and why. Definitely always worth a check.

Kind regards,
Annette

David Lang

Post by David Lang » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks Annette

They were skint!!!

Will check it out tomorrow got a wee day at the Mitchell and may take along some other Glasgow relations to check out.

Cheers

David
Lang/loynachan/oloynachan/Gillies/Scally/McIlchere- Argyll, Denovan/Rollo, Stirling/Burns-Stirling Mackie/Grant/Ingils/Campbell-Aberdeen,Stewart/Bell-Glasgow
Brown-Ardrossan/Dundonald, Gemmell- Johnstone/Partick
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire