Claim for 'separate maintenance'

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

scooter

Claim for 'separate maintenance'

Post by scooter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this one?

After marrying one of six wives (all living at the same time) my GGGG Grandfather 'precipitated' her out of the first floor window of their lodgings in Saffron Hill, London. She subsequently spent 21 months recovering in hospital, afterwards proceeding against her husband for separate maintenance. Being that they were both from Glasgow they were sent back north so that their parish of origin could sort it out.

Would I be correct in assuming that she would have first approached the parish church in which they were living at the time for this, or some kind of court? Secondly, I'm guessing that the kirk sessions (for which ever church) would have handled this in Glasgow?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Scott
Researching Wishart (Glasgow & Kirkcaldy), McDonald (Donegal & Falkirk), Thomson (Star, Fife) & Harley (Monimail, Moonzie & Cupar)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi Scott
they were sent back north so that their parish of origin could sort it out
Can you give us some rough idea of dates?

Best wishes
Lesley

scooter

Post by scooter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi Lesley,

Sorry I was in a rush when I wrote that, we're talking about 1831/32 if that helps?

Cheers,

Scott
Researching Wishart (Glasgow & Kirkcaldy), McDonald (Donegal & Falkirk), Thomson (Star, Fife) & Harley (Monimail, Moonzie & Cupar)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Scott
I'm kinda guessing here, but the matter of the several wives would no doubt have caused some Kirk Session interest, (as well as being a criminal matter I'd have thought...?) but I'd think that pushing folk out o' windaes to their injury must surely be a criminal offence and one for the courts. I've not checked the NAS site yet to see if their new catalogue is up and running, but that is perhaps a place to start searching. Also maybe newspapers, but it is early days for those. The Scotsman back then was, as far as I remember, a twice weekly publication with about 4 pages per issue, so not a great coverage of events, especailly those more west coast orientated. Unless of course there was a spectacular court case!

As far as I recall, the Kirk was losing its vice-like grip on the behaviour of its parishoners by the mid 1800s, but if you know their parish of origin the Kirk Session records would also be worth checking...

I'm hoping someone else may be able to offer you more ideas here!

Best wishes
Lesley

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 pm

New NAS catalogue is there.... woahhh..... life is back to normal! :lol:
Do you want to give us a name for the colourful character so we can all go for a search in various places? However, we'll quite understand if you'd prefer for him to remain anonymous! :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

scooter

Post by scooter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:00 am

Hi Lesley,

I've looked back through my notes, and have almost answered my own question through the many newspaper articles I have relating to the window incident, and subsequent bigamy conviction. One article states that the claim for maintenance was made at the Hatton Garden Police Court - records of which (according to the London Metropolitan Archives) have not survived. So I'm guessing that if the claim for maintenance was turned over to Glasgow, it would have been at court level rather than through the parish. I had a look for John (Wishart) in the revamped NAS catalogue, but with no success. Perhaps those kind of records haven't been indexed yet? I know my GG Grandfather's divorce in 1888 isn't on there, although I've seen the actual papers relating to this. Anyway, many thanks for your suggestions!

Kind regards,

Scott